Author Topic: Why is my server not connecting right?  (Read 6911 times)

Offline xXxbigdogXx

Why is my server not connecting right?
« on: April 25, 2016, 09:22:54 PM »
I keep getting this error

[26-Apr-2016 03:17:34 +0200]: <81b34kc7> IMAP Error: Login failed for user@chromiumfactions.net from 127.0.0.1. Could not connect to chromiumfactions.net:143: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
 in \www\mail\program\lib\Roundcube\rcube_imap.php on line 197 (POST /mail/?_task=login?_task=login&_action=login)

The login error message tells me "connection to storage server failed"

ChromiumFactions.net is hosted under the same server. I only use that because hmailserver's domain is named that. What do I need to do to fix this?

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
Re: Why is my server not connecting right?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 12:19:25 PM »
ChromiumFactions.net is hosted under the same server. I only use that because hmailserver's domain is named that. What do I need to do to fix this?
I dont know what you mean by hmailserver's domain is named that.

first thing to do is check if you can telnet from your webserver to the imap server. like `telnet chromiumfactions.net 143`. if that does not work then you know its probably not a roundcube or php issue.
Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and more…

Offline xXxbigdogXx

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 10:53:06 PM »
Sorry for the long wait, was working on a problem with wamp server which is still giving me grief.

it basically means that ChromiumFactions.net essentially is what the domain is called on HMailServer and so I specified that on the config so it would know what domain to look up on HMailServers domains. This also means that essentially HMailServer is on the same PC as RoundCube and so ChromiumFactions.net is just the domain on HMailServer

Telnet test results.

Response: "Connecting To chromiumfactions.net...Could not open connection to the host, on port 143: Connect failed"

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 02:53:23 AM »
so you have not published any dns for ChromiumFactions.net? in that case there is no way any other system could know that ChromiumFactions.net = localhost, try configuring roundcube to connect to localhost or 127.0.0.1

Offline xXxbigdogXx

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 03:07:31 PM »
So for all settings in the config.inc.php set it to localhost instead of any occurrence of chromiumfactions.net?

Offline xXxbigdogXx

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 04:56:05 PM »
When doing what you've told me to do it fixed that error alone however, I still cannot connect with the loginscreen error "connection to the storage server failed"

Logs:

[28-Apr-2016 04:44:15 +0200]: <81b34kc7> IMAP Error: Login failed for xxxbigdogxxx@chromiumfactions.net from 127.0.0.1. Could not connect to chromiumfactions.net:143: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
 in C:\Censored\www\mail\program\lib\Roundcube\rcube_imap.php on line 197 (POST /mail/?_task=login?_task=login&_action=login)
[28-Apr-2016 22:52:17 +0200]: <81b34kc7> IMAP Error: Login failed for xxxbigdogxxx@locahost from 127.0.0.1. LOGIN: Invalid user name or password. in C:\Censored\www\mail\program\lib\Roundcube\rcube_imap.php on line 197 (POST /mail/?_task=login?_task=login&_action=login)
[28-Apr-2016 22:53:22 +0200]: <81b34kc7> IMAP Error: Login failed for xxxbigdogxxx@locahost from 127.0.0.1. LOGIN: Invalid user name or password. in C:\Censored\www\mail\program\lib\Roundcube\rcube_imap.php on line 197 (POST /mail/?_task=login?_task=login&_action=login)
[28-Apr-2016 22:53:28 +0200]: <81b34kc7> IMAP Error: Login failed for xxxbigdogxxx@locahost from 127.0.0.1. LOGIN: Goodbye in C:\Censored\www\mail\program\lib\Roundcube\rcube_imap.php on line 197 (POST /mail/?_task=login?_task=login&_action=login)
[28-Apr-2016 22:54:31 +0200]: <81b34kc7> IMAP Error: Login failed for xxxbigdogxxx@locahost from 127.0.0.1. Empty startup greeting (localhost:143) in C:\Censored\www\mail\program\lib\Roundcube\rcube_imap.php on line 197 (POST /mail/?_task=login?_task=login&_action=login)
[28-Apr-2016 22:54:36 +0200]: <81b34kc7> IMAP Error: Login failed for xxxbigdogxxx@locahost from 127.0.0.1. Empty startup greeting (localhost:143) in C:\Censored\www\mail\program\lib\Roundcube\rcube_imap.php on line 197 (POST /mail/?_task=login?_task=login&_action=login)

[28-Apr-2016 04:44:15 +0200] is before I changed the settings to localhost so ignore that one.

Config of RCUBE IMAP
http://pastebin.com/3GJzVpfW
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 05:05:22 PM by xXxbigdogXx »

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 02:44:16 AM »
the first 2 are obvious. you entered the wrong username or password

the goodbye one i'm not sure about, not seen that before. may be some kind of brute force login prevention from the imap server?

the empty startup greeting. thats generally a config issue i think. may be check your connection settings are right and you shouldnt be using tls or anything like that.

Offline xXxbigdogXx

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 12:46:26 PM »
What exactly needs to be fixed in the config? I don't use TLS.

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 03:31:15 AM »
I cannot really answer that because I do not know anything about you setup. the best thing I can suggest is that you read the comments in the roundcube config file carefully, they give a lot of info about the various options.

Offline xXxbigdogXx

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 11:34:26 AM »
Maybe I can try for a fresh installation. I'll use the settings purposed by " https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgs9gQ5k_qY ". I think that's a reliable source. I am using all of what he makes a tutorial for exempt for wordpress. I replace wordpress with SMF

Offline xXxbigdogXx

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 11:58:19 AM »
I found something particular in the extraction. Do I need these files to connect?

C:CENSORED\Webserver\Install Files (do not operate)\roundcubemail-1.1.5-complete (1).tar.gz: Cannot create symbolic link C:CENSORED\Webserver\Install Files (do not operate)\roundcubemail-1.1.5-complete (1)\roundcubemail-1.1.5\vendor\bin\pear
!   A required privilege is not held by the client.
    C:CENSORED\Webserver\Install Files (do not operate)\roundcubemail-1.1.5-complete (1).tar.gz: Cannot create symbolic link C:CENSORED\Webserver\Install Files (do not operate)\roundcubemail-1.1.5-complete (1)\roundcubemail-1.1.5\vendor\bin\peardev
    C:CENSORED\Webserver\Install Files (do not operate)\roundcubemail-1.1.5-complete (1).tar.gz: Cannot create symbolic link C:CENSORED\Webserver\Install Files (do not operate)\roundcubemail-1.1.5-complete (1)\roundcubemail-1.1.5\vendor\bin\pecl
    C:CENSORED\Install Files (do not operate)\roundcubemail-1.1.5-complete (1).tar.gz: Cannot create symbolic link
C:CENSORED\Webserver\Install Files (do not operate)\roundcubemail-1.1.5-complete (1)\roundcubemail-1.1.5\vendor\bin\rcubeinitdb.sh

Some more useful information:

Database software: MySQL (PHPMyAdmin)
Database type: utf8_general_ci
Username: rcuser (permissions only valid for RoundCube database)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 12:17:19 PM by xXxbigdogXx »

Offline xXxbigdogXx

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 03:56:01 PM »
I found the problem!

When installing and going through the install again I found that user RCUser did not have "grant" permissions so I granted permissions before the database install and now I can login. The install page did not warn me about it when I first installed on here.

ALSO:

While testing the autoban I realized the "Empty Start Up Greeting" was because the autoban for hmailserver banned my IP and because roundcube didn't recognize it as autoban the roundcube just searched for a random error and place the first one it caught.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 04:15:51 PM by xXxbigdogXx »