Author Topic: Incoming mail cannot be found  (Read 3686 times)

Offline geoB

Incoming mail cannot be found
« on: November 07, 2016, 01:00:29 PM »
Roundcube 1.2.2 is installed on an Azure Ubuntu VM with postfix & dovecot.  It can send mail and /var/log/mail.log shows that a reply was received.  Dovecot is configured with
Code: [Select]
mail_location = maildir:/var/mail/vhosts/%d/%n There exists /var/mail/vhosts/pmana2.westus.cloudapp.azure.com/gbrooks/new.  That directory looks like this:
drwx--S--- 2 vmail vmail 4096 Nov  7 08:57 new But I guess I've missed something along the way.  (As a relative noob to *nix it is not surprising!)  But what have I missed?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 06:48:53 PM by geoB »

Offline alec

Re: Cannot find inbox
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 02:49:30 PM »
It does not look like Roundcube issue. And what exactly "cannot find Inbox" means?

Offline geoB

Incoming mail cannot be found
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 03:18:24 PM »
I assume that a test email was received because gmgr says it was removed from the queue.  In RoundCube, Inbox there is no message, so my assumption is that RoundCube either does not know where my inbox is or cannot read it if it does.

I can see the .../vhost... directory so the further assumption is that mail was delivered there.

Does this adequately describe "cannot find inbox"?

EDIT:
Following some postfix debugging advice, I tried /usr/sbin/sendmail -v  gbrooks@...  The system hangs, and mail log reads:

13:14:35 mail dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<gbrooks@p...
13:14:35 mail dovecot: imap(gbrooks@p...): Disconnected

EDIT #2:
Postfix debugging revealed nothing of interest. Dovecot debug logging (auth_debug = yes, mail_debug = yes, auth_verbose = yes) did not add any data after postfix/gmgr removed the mail.  I cannot find where it went, and the Inbox remains empty. I remain stumped.

EDIT #3:
$config['smtp_debug'] = true; did not add any entries into either /var/log/mail.log or .../roundcubemail-1.2.2/logs when mail was received and moved by postfix/gmgr.  This is getting nuts^2.

This missing mail behavior began after implementing a MySQL database for usernames and addresses.  As should be obvious, I am at least able to authenticate.  And send mail.  Just can't receive any.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 06:54:17 PM by geoB »

Offline alec

Re: Incoming mail cannot be found
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 01:32:16 AM »
Roundcube is an IMAP client, it uses IMAP protocol. It does not look into your filesystem for mail. So, it is not Roundcube issue, until there's an error in the browser console or logs. With enabled imap_debug it should log IMAP conversation to the logs/console (or to syslog, depending on configuration). So, your logging settings may be broken too. Did you check http server log?

Offline geoB

Re: Incoming mail cannot be found
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 09:41:24 AM »
Thanks for your reply.

I'd posted here in hopes that the problem and its solution was known.  It is now clear that this is not so.  I've done a fair bit of troubleshooting (here and here) without success.  I'm focusing now on Postfix's queue manager since Dovecot (
doveadm user) knows who I am and where my mail box is.

If there is some resource that might be useful please let me know. 

Offline geoB

[SOLVED] Re: Incoming mail cannot be found
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 03:26:45 PM »
The solution was to start over again.  Reinstall of Postfix & Dovecot allowed a correct installation.