Author Topic: OSX Mail Theme [Beta]  (Read 52090 times)

Offline Vincent Ramos

Re: OSX Mail Theme [Beta]
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 04:14:24 AM »
Oups... I had read the updated first post but dowloaded the wrong file. Sorry.

Offline Vicelow

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 07:22:08 AM »
Great work on the theme. Thanks for the upload.
There are some things I noted:

- the new message div is a nice idea but indeed I see some problems: It floats on the columns header which makes it a bit hidden and does not contribute to its legibility. When you log off, there are no more columns and it looks strange.
the type of the message (error, notification ...) is just reflected through the border colour which makes it hard to identify which kind of thing is occurring and - that there is a message at all!!
Bottom line: I personally would centralize the font and locate it in the free space under the buttons and give it back its background colours.
- when composing a message, the action buttons (new, draft, send etc) are vertcially distributed
- the instant email search in the composing window is still highlighted in red. might be more approriate in blue/gray
- the folder handling is just perfect, nice arrows. great
- preloading the hover images would be nice as the is an ugly delay on the first load
- the rounded corner background for selected mails just works if you have the date column on the total right which was not my case. Not everyone uses the layout.... Had to correct it manually in the mail.css for my needs
- the "menu" for the folder actions is a great idea as it was just waste of space down there. No one really uses those tasks such often to justify that place. Though an icon would be nice. A small folder might be appropriate...
- in the preview pane as well as mail-only view the row for an attachment in the header still has a gray background
- The png-transparency problem is not solved for the buttons in IE6. There are a bunch of other IE 6 glitches which you will fix later on as far as I understood. As they are quite obvious, won't mention them here. Indeed, a full IE6 support would just be perfect as on the road the probabilty to be forced to use one is white high
- As for the rest it works just well and is a pleasure for my eyes especially when having to deal with a windows machine here at work :D
- Oh and a last opinion: I would distinguish between actions buttons (compose, delete, print, send etc) and views buttons (preferences, mail, address book, log off). I think it might be more approriate to just use the icons and make them more prominent (as for that: bigger). I find that more logical to click directly on my adressbook and not on a button that opens my adressbook.
- As for the Notes and To Do folders created by leopard mail I attached the two icons. in the respective files some changes makes them treated as the default folders (located on top of the other folders, make them localizable)

Throw the icons in /images/icons/
Then just add the two folders in /program/include/main.inc. It looks like this:

// for these mailboxes we have localized labels
 $special_mailboxes = array('inbox', 'sent', 'drafts', 'trash', 'junk', 'apple mail to do', 'notes');

Then you can add the respective strings in your language file to translate them. For my case in program/localization/de_DE/labels.inc

$labels['apple mail to do']  = 'Aufgaben';
$labels['notes']  = 'Notizen';

To locate them on top of other folders just edit your main.inc.php at the default folders part.
Giving them the customized icons is made in the mail.css. Add:

#mailboxlist li.notes
{
 background-image: url(images/icons/folder-notes.png);
}

#mailboxlist li.applemailtodo
{
 background-image: url(images/icons/folder-todo.png);
}

Greets, Vicelow

Offline MormonMacMan

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 11:57:41 AM »
Is anyone else having problems downloading the file? Every time I download any of the archives, it downloads a 0 KB file if I use Firefox, and if I use Safari, it downloads a 12 KB file that give me an error whenever I try to extract the contents saying that there isn't anything in the archive. Any ideas on what's going on?

–Michael

Offline oldschool

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 08:41:46 PM »
Quote from: MormonMacMan
Is anyone else having problems downloading the file? Every time I download any of the archives, it downloads a 0 KB file if I use Firefox, and if I use Safari, it downloads a 12 KB file that give me an error whenever I try to extract the contents saying that there isn't anything in the archive. Any ideas on what's going on?

–Michael

Hi!

Happy new year!!!

The first version ist downlaodable and not CORRUPTED.
The 0.2 and 0.3 are downloadable, but not unarchivable...

Sad, it was a great looking theme...

>:(

Rgds.

PS: Currently ich have noticed the files were stuffed under OSX. On my Hackitosh i was able to get the template... 8)

Offline sophoro

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 10:34:39 PM »
Quote from: oldschool
Hi!

Happy new year!!!

The first version ist downlaodable and not CORRUCTED.
The 0.2 and 0.3 are downloadable, but not unarchivable...

Sad, it was a great looking theme...

>:(

Rgds.

I had to use the j switch with tar, indicating bzip2 compression rather than gzip. No problems after that, except when using Camino 1.5.4 on OS X 10.4, in the compose email page; the "message" buttons list vertically rather than horizontally. I've included a screenshot. It's probably something quite simple to fix, I'll have a look at it after I post this.

EDIT: Turns out, the button-icon placement issue is due to my little powerbook only having 1024x768, and the "messagetoolbar" div not being able to compress for whatever reason.

Offline gouksss

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 02:42:23 AM »
Sorry all for the downloads problems, they have been fixed. my bad.

Vicelow, I made several changes according to your very useful comments.
Not everything is answered, and I need to think of a better way for a few things you mentioned.

I added your icons to the skin, thanks ;)
I won't be making changes to the core, that would be needed to make Notes and Todo's float top,
because I want to stick with Theme only modifications. Hence I won't be editing translations either.

I guess that can be submitted as a patch to the development team, since it has little to do with my particular skin, and would be more suitable as a general
modification to roundcube.

Offline Vicelow

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008, 07:13:14 AM »
I think I expressed myself not really clearly! ::) I meant that hack as an offer for any leopard user (I suppose in this thread might be someones :-) as you mentioned absolutely correctly that these are core modifications and NOT a theme thing.
Hence, anybody may feel free to do that hack or not... ;-)

One more thing I noticed: there is no mouseover for the "next arrows" (to jump between message pages) and I've got the feeling that the cookie mechanism for the folder collapse settings broke...

Greets

Offline gouksss

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008, 07:52:11 AM »
Thanks Vicelow,
Fixed that.

hard to be working when so tired :)

Offline Vicelow

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2008, 11:40:16 AM »
Looks very good here....
Very usable already!
Anyone knows what's going on the core front? Just looked up the source in trac and noticed that development seems a bit stalled. I would love to see some bugfixes and features. Patience is a hard thing.
Anyway, back to the theme: there is still the rounded message background when selected which lacks preloaded images and some mail-ish buttons for the address book could be made but otherwise it's really good.

I'll see if I can code some nicer (perhaps animated) replacements for the preferences tabs.
By the way: a selected folder entryt in the folders tab is still red.... ;-)

have a nice weekend!

Offline oldschool

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2008, 07:29:25 AM »
Hi!

Here are some Windows 2003-Screenshots.
The OSX-Screenshots follows...

The first is IE6.
The second FF.
The third Safari3.

Safari has a very strange effect...
I hope that helps.
The numbers of mails disappear of the deleted items folder.

Rgds.

PS: Upps, i noticed the 0.4... The windows picts are from 0.3, the osx from the 0.4 build!
Will check the 2003 again...

The mouse-over font is not really the quality of the rest of grapfx. I would modify that...
Great theme anyway!!! Good work. Thanks.

Offline oldschool

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2008, 10:36:12 AM »
Okay, on my Hackintosh i found...

OSX X.4 - Safari 3

Offline MacOfTheEast

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2008, 09:42:14 AM »
Quote from: astroboy
Sorry all for the downloads problems, they have been fixed. my bad.
DAMN nice job, Mate. Thank you very much for your hard work ;)

MOTE

Offline MacOfTheEast

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2008, 11:56:44 AM »
Quote from: MacOfTheEast
DAMN nice job, Mate. Thank you very much for your hard work ;)

It sure is a GREAT looking script. I'd really love to see CAPTCHA added to the login screen. Given it any thought, astroboy? There's a whole bevy of open source implementations such as b2evo, csi, hec, opencaptcha, quickcaptcha, recaptcha, textcaptcha, captcha_php, freecap, hn_captcha, meezerk, phpcaptcha, quickform, textcapnum, watercap out there. I had been using the captcha plugin for SquirrelMail with watercap before we found RoundCube.

MOTE  

Offline adalle

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2008, 05:23:05 PM »
The text labels for the navigation - Email / Addressbook / etc. is very nice. That's a real feature for me since icons are not always obvious - I really hate some of the default roundcube icons. And it works brilliantly for all languages, very nice. However, some charsets are hard to read.

Its great for latin languages, but the more complex chinese characters are hard to read at that size. Cyrillic is not bad, Thai is really bad. It might be nice to increase the font size for those labels (I'll look to this myself, this is just first impressions and comments).

Have you thought to provide those same labels to the other icon groups? It seems funny not to have them also for all the buttons in the header. I'll probably look to this myself as well; I imagine it shouldn't be too hard since you've already done the hard work!

Overall this is a very real-estate efficient layout. I will have to experiment with different background images/colours/etc. so that it meshes with the rest of the site better of course, but aside that I don't foresee having to do very much work on the layout side (which is the hardest, most important thing).

Offline DocNight

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2008, 12:58:17 PM »
Hi all,

first of all: very nice theme, I love it ;)

I installed that theme, but I am missing the message priview pane as I see in the screenshots.

How can I activate or install that priview pane?

greets,
DocNight.