Author Topic: Support sucks here !  (Read 9253 times)

Offline scarface

Support sucks here !
« on: December 23, 2007, 09:13:20 AM »
The support on this site for roundcube rc2 realy SUCKS !!! >:(
What a pity because I think Roundcube is a very elegant mailclient....

For 2 days I'm trying to just let the program run properly. It just doesn't work. But I have found out some basics here:

I'm an XP user... (dont feel sorry ;)) I've find out that if you want to use Roundcube in a testing envoirement, and IMAP is not installed AND not activated (in the php.ini file) it doesn't do anything. So for all of you who is getting the error "Connection to IMAP server failled" install this: Mercury/32 (http://www.pmail.com/downloads_maine_t.htm)

hope this will help someone out there....

=======================================================================================

In the login screen you must login like this: whatever@localhost
Settings for "main.inc.php": $rcmail_config['default_host'] = 'localhost';

I'm still trying to figuring out how to create the password and how to setup this whatever (in whatever@localhost) thing.

Is there any help out there ??? :-\

Offline GrooV

Re: Support sucks here !
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 10:12:20 AM »
hehe maybe you should start reading documentation and find out how to setup a proper webserver.

Offline scarface

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 10:43:55 AM »
Ok...

But where is the documentation ? The comments in the config file doens't cover most troubleshooting...

Offline el_kab0ng

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 11:16:07 AM »
Also remember that you get what you pay for...

I attempted to upgrade from beta-1 to rc2 last night which failed miserably causing me to roll back. I can't speak for beta-2, but I know for a fact beta-1 works with IMAP and Sendmail just fine (and displays properly in all browser types.)

Maybe start there and see if you have any luck. The only real features you'd be missing out on is the search function and the save drafts option. I couldn't really see much of a difference (aside from not being able to send mail and authentication problems when viewing folders)

Offline scarface

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 11:53:20 AM »
thx for your consideration. Perhaps I will use squirrelmail instead. Ugly presentation but good performance AND documentation...

Offline manxam

Opensource...
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 12:52:37 AM »
Being a supporter and developer of several GPL and Opensource projects, I only have one suggestion for you: write the documentation yourself if you find it lacking.

The entire point of OS software is that it's FREE and created by its users. If you USE it, you should help DEVELOP it. If you don't have any programming skills, why not help write up some documentation. You've obviously learned something while installing the program; document it for others...

Offline wackhacker

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 08:31:01 AM »
Scarface,

It is sorry to see such an attitude, while you do not mention the following:

• Do you have a working Apache installation?
  • Do you have PHP installed properly?
  • Do you have a working MySQL server running and configured?
  • Do you have a working IMAP server (RFC compliant) configured and working?

Without any basic skills you cannot work with any kind of software. And, besides that, RC2 means RELEASE CANDIDATE 2, which implies that this is a sort of ALPHA release, in which BUGS WILL appear/occure and therefor should not be used in any production environment.
Besides that, any OSS junior user already knows what LOGFILES are, and where to find those. Those files provide you with information about errors that occure during the use of software.

You made the choice of using bleeding-edge software, not the developers of this fine tool. You made the desicion to try to make it work. Therefor, the only one to blame here, is not the poor support, but just you, implied by your choice of usage of a RC2.

Whenever you think that there is poor documentation, please start writing it by yourself, or even better: debug the problem and create a (platform independant) patch and provide it to the developers. This way, you do contribute in a positive way, in stead of your poorly motivated post.

Bye the way, when you read on in the documentation of previous versions, you will see that roundcube is meant to be used in an IMAP environment. Therefor, the implication is, that you *NEED* and working IMAP service! Without a properly configured IMAP service, you cannot run any software that depends on such a service.

On the other hand, this forum is, from my humble point of view, not the place, nor the environment to start fussing about a poorly configurated/developed/designed W32 IMAP thingy, which you try to use. So: Get yourself an UBUNTU LAMP install and RETRY. If it doesn't work than, please drop me an e-mail, and i will try to help you out.

Just a small hint: WHATEVER must be configured in your poorly installed/configurated/designed W32 tool, called Mercury/W32 and *NOT* in roundcube or the database. :funny:

schema:

Code: [Select]
Webbrowser -> apache -> PHP -> Roundcube code -> PHP Modules-| -> MySQL
                               | -> IMAP -> User IDENTIFICATION -> MAILSTORE

MySQL is only used for storing information about the user's environment. Nothing else.
Your user-authentication is done trough the IMAP service, not by the MYSQL database.

You are having a problem in your IMAP User IDENTIFICATION part. Nowhere else!

Regards,

Jacco
Regards,

Jacco

Offline bpat1434

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 10:06:25 AM »
@scarface: I'd like to chime in here. As a free-time developer / feature contributer to the code-base, I can say that you're entirely wrong in all that you say.

Roundcube is the web implementation equivalent of Thunderbird. You can't just put it on your computer and expect it to work. It requires a PHP interpreter (either a full-blown web server, or a PHP-GTK install). Then you are required to have a working IMAP installation somewhere (like your own website, or via Gmail, etc.), and lastly a MySQL installation. Once you fulfill those three prerequisites (PHP Interpreter, IMAP server, MySQL Database) you can run Roundcube. You just have to configure it properly.

How To Install RoundCube <-- That is the Wiki. Know it, use it. Nothing has changed during installation yet. Things have been added, but nothing "crippling" the software from working.

So do please try to actually research your accusations before making them. They're just plain wrong. IMAP doesn't have to be a loaded module for RoundCube. You have to have an actual working IMAP SERVER, not the PHP extension. Notice that the RoundCube Requirements don't list the IMAP extension, just an IMAP server.

If you think support sucks here, I think your attitude sucks here.

Offline kmn

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 11:57:55 AM »
Hello,

It seems scarface is not very familiar with setting up a web/mail server environment. I suggest that he may download and install the xampp package for windows. It is a full test environment for wamp (windows, apache, mysql, php) I use it regularly for test environments and is really helpful. AND, it contains Mercury too.

Try apachefriends.org.

HTH

kmn

Offline Ateo

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 04:43:16 PM »
@scarface: Read the documentation. If you say 'where is it', then you haven't looked and you're just flat out lazy (i refuse to help lazy people). If, by chance, you do find the documentation for this alpha release project and you've read it and it just doesn't make sense, then you should even be here since you do not possess the skills for this installation.

Roundcube requires an administrator with basic skills. This isn't windows. There is no button to click that magically installs roundcube for you, along with all it's requirements.

Also, if you want support, pay someone. This is a free project and everyone is free to judge who they will and will not help. So forgive us that we didn't jump on the opportunity to help you.