Author Topic: Server Error! (error)  (Read 4897 times)

Offline nurbles62

Server Error! (error)
« on: June 28, 2017, 01:38:49 PM »
I recently upgraded my system to Ubuntu 16.04.2 and Roundcube to 1.2.5.  One of my users is getting a 'popup' message over the Roundcube screen when he logs in:
The error message is rather unhelpful.  I have looked through the mail logs (mail.log and mail.err) where I find all the other activity for my users, but there is no error logged for this one.  In fact, a few seconds AFTER the time in the screen shot I clipped this from, I see the user successfully checking his mail in the logs.

So the error seems to be more of an annoyance, but it would REALLY be helpful if there was any HINT about what went wrong.  Is there any chance this might be possible in a future release?

(If the inline image didn't work, I obviously couldn't figure out how to do it with this forum package.  I'm also trying to attach the image as well, hopefully at least one of the two will work!)

EDIT  I think I tracked the SOURCE of the message to a web server request that failed, in program/js/app.js, just above line 8221 (which is where the message appears to originate).  The message may come from app.min.js, but that is a bit too hard for me to follow (is it just an obfuscated version of app.js?)  Anyway, I have no idea WHAT request is failing, but it seems that something is going wrong, although not anything that the apache server or any of the server-side mail components (or mysql, for that matter) consider log-worthy, since none of them have anything (except successes) anywhere near the time this occurred.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 03:11:10 PM by nurbles62 »

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Re: Server Error! (error)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 02:37:32 PM »
Whats in the Roundcube error log?

Offline nurbles62

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 07:34:52 AM »
The image in my OP was captured around Jun 28 09:15.  Here's what I see at the end of an 'ls -rtl /var/log/roundcube' command just now (by 'end' I mean the two most recent files in the roundcube log folder (and the only two that haven't been gzipped):
Code: [Select]
-rw-r----- 1 www-data adm     8591 Jun 18 10:42 errors.1
-rw-r----- 1 www-data adm        0 Jun 25 07:52 errors
So I don't believe that roundcube found anything worth logging, either.  (I didn't name it directly, but it was one of the "server side mail components" I mentioned in my OP, FWIW.)

In fact, roundcube logged only one error (many times) since I upgraded to v1.2.5.  Immediately after I upgraded, I found many error.log messages about "no RDBMS driver specified" because I had forgotten to update one of the roundcube configuration files.  Since I corrected that (on Jun 18) not one single error has been logged by roundcube.  Is it possible that the new version defaults to having error logging disabled and I need to go change a setting somewhere?  That seems unlikely, but stranger things have happened after upgrades of other things, so maybe...

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 09:21:41 AM »
The errors may not be making it to the Roundcube error log. Try checking the web server error log.

Offline nurbles62

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 01:27:31 PM »
Nope.  No errors in the apache logs for the time period around the error, either.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 02:12:13 PM »
Well then the only other thing to do is to have the browser console up when the request that fails happens so you can try to track it back to the source.

Offline nurbles62

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 08:33:40 AM »
Sigh.  I was afraid of this.  The customer reporting this is roughly 1,000 miles away from me, so I cannot debug using his system.  I don't get the error when I try here, so I cannot debug here.

I guess the only hope I have would be to alter the message when the error is "error" to include all of the parameters in the request.  If only I knew php well enough to be confident that a change like that, by me, would break everything for everyone using our server.

Oh well, since the error goes away and doesn't actually seem to bother anything except the user's common sense, well probably live with it.  For now at least.  I'm too busy prepping for a factory acceptance test for some software we wrote for a nuclear power plant.

Thanks for trying.

Offline dpjm

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 05:56:11 AM »
I encountered this error today as well as about two weeks ago. After tedious debugging I found out that this error comes from Javascript ( program/js/app.js or
program/js/app.min.js). Also I'm quite confident that in our system the reason is failing request in plugins/rcs_skins/rcs_skins.php. Line is:

$frame = "$.getScript('//ensigniamail.com/rcs/?" . http_build_query($param) . "');";

I'm guessing this tracks skin usage.

Today (November 21, 2017) HTTPS certificate of ensigniamail.com was expired and this results to an error.