Author Topic: Very frustrated with Roundcube. Help please!  (Read 6330 times)

Offline time4pie

Very frustrated with Roundcube. Help please!
« on: October 11, 2017, 12:43:01 PM »
My ISP moved me over to Roundcube within the last year and I am most unhappy with it.  Latest frustration: I can't find a way to open a preview pane.  There was an arrow in the lower right corner of the messages list that would open up a preview pane.  Today it is gone (it was there yesterday), with nothing added anywhere else to provide that function. 

But that isn't the first issue by far.  And there doesn't seem to be any useful help function or even a simple manual to describe how everything works.  And these forums seem geared toward developers, not users, but I'm asking the questions here because I haven't found any other resource. 

Biggest previous frustrations:
- Contacts.  My contact list came over from the previous software just fine, but I can't access all of it when creating a message.  There is a pane on the left side with a contacts list, but there doesn't seem to be a way to scroll or page it so the first page of listings is all I can see.  I also haven't found a way to access the contact list to do deep editing. 
- Extra accounts.  My previous e-mail software allowed me to access additional email accounts (other than than my primary account.)  I have always collected my message archives in another account and would move them from my primary account to the folders in the secondary account.  As I have not discovered a way to attach that second account, this has handicapped me as well.

I actually like the clean interface of Roundcube, but these frustrations are making it difficult to use.

Can anyone point me towards some help?

Thanks,
John Humason

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
Re: Very frustrated with Roundcube. Help please!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 03:13:14 AM »
Hi. You are correct this forum is mainly for developers. It is very hard for any one other than the people who run your roundcube instance to support it because no one else knows how it is setup. I will try and give you a few general answers though, perhaps they will point you in the right direction.

You can find some roundcube documentation here https://docs.roundcube.net/doc/help/1.1/en_US/. It is a little out of date now but it might help a bit.

Caveat: I do not know what skin you are using, my answers are based on the Larry skin. (its the skin displayed in the screenshots here https://roundcube.net/screens/)

I can't find a way to open a preview pane.  There was an arrow in the lower right corner of the messages list that would open up a preview pane.  Today it is gone (it was there yesterday), with nothing added anywhere else to provide that function.
Depending on what version of rc your ISP is running you may see a Layout option on the Settings screen under "Preferences > Mailbox view > Main options". If that is not there then on the Mail screen, on the left hand end of the bar at the top of the message list there is a cog/gear icon. This brings up the message list options and there you can change the layout. I'm gussing you have "list" current selected change it to widescreen or desktop.

Contacts.  My contact list came over from the previous software just fine, but I can't access all of it when creating a message.  There is a pane on the left side with a contacts list, but there doesn't seem to be a way to scroll or page it so the first page of listings is all I can see.

At the top of the pane that shows your contacts there is a search box so you can limit the list that way. in the top right hand corner of the pane there are 4 little arrows, these allow you to page through contacts.

I also haven't found a way to access the contact list to do deep editing.

In the top right hand corner of the screen there is a series of icons - Mail, Contacts, Settings. From the contacts screen you are able to edit your contacts.

My previous e-mail software allowed me to access additional email accounts (other than than my primary account.)  I have always collected my message archives in another account and would move them from my primary account to the folders in the secondary account.  As I have not discovered a way to attach that second account, this has handicapped me as well.

Roundcube does not support multiple mailboxes out of the box. There may be some plugins out there that can do it but I'm not sure.

Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and moreā€¦

Offline time4pie

Re: Very frustrated with Roundcube. Help please!
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 12:59:02 PM »
Thanks, John!