Author Topic: Creating E-mail Aliases?  (Read 9067 times)

Offline Haravikk

Creating E-mail Aliases?
« on: October 22, 2017, 10:35:50 AM »
So I've been using Roundcube for a while now and really like it, but one thing I've been unable to figure out is how to allow users (really just me at the moment) to set custom aliases for their account.

For example, I control the domain name @haravikk.me, so if I want to I can use a catch-all to direct all messages into my mailbox, and use whatever I like as the mailbox name when I sign up to websites, e.g- some_site@haravikk.me, which makes it very easy to direct messages into folders with Sieve. However, I can't currently send messages from any of these addresses, which is a bit annoying. Is there some way that I can configure these? Even if it means doing it via a database entry it would be nice to be able to do this for those addresses I need to be able to send from, as certain support platforms for example don't like receiving replies from a different address than they was entered in the original support request.

In a more general case, for users with fixed mailbox names, e.g- some_user@example.org, I'd like to be able to allow "plus" style aliases, e.g- some_user+facebook@example.org, is this something that's possible with Roundcube? I believe I have Postfix and Dovecot configured correctly to handle them, and I can certainly receive messages using such aliases, but again I can't figure out how to get Roundcube to let me send them.

I know Roundcube has a feature for "identities" but I just don't see how to actually enable it; although I can create new identities, the e-mail address part is greyed out, leaving it stuck at whatever the account's main address happens to be. I can't see how to allow other addresses to be entered either arbitrarily, or matching some pattern.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 10:41:55 AM by Haravikk »

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Re: Creating E-mail Aliases?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 01:22:58 PM »
Identities is what you want. From the sounds of "although I can create new identities, the e-mail address part is greyed out" you currently have identities_level in your Roundcube config set to 1, you need it set to 0 to do what you want.
Code: [Select]
// Set identities access level:
// 0 - many identities with possibility to edit all params
// 1 - many identities with possibility to edit all params but not email address
// 2 - one identity with possibility to edit all params
// 3 - one identity with possibility to edit all params but not email address
// 4 - one identity with possibility to edit only signature
$config['identities_level'] = 0;