Author Topic: Sort not sorting  (Read 2005 times)

Offline Sandtree

Sort not sorting
« on: November 28, 2017, 11:21:56 AM »
I have the misfortune of using Vidahost for my webhosting after my former good hosts were bought out by them and they use roundcube as their webmail client (0.9.0) and I am having problems with the service and their response is "you have to find your own support for 3rd party apps we provide" so here I am.

So, I had to set up my mailboxes first and then a few days later manually transfer typically about 2,000 emails per mailbox to the new servers. When viewing my mail via MacOS Mail or iOS Mail there are no problems but when viewing the mails via the roundcube webmail the emails are all out of order and doing a sort on them doesnt help, its almost as if its using the date/time they came onto the server rather than the send/receive date to sort it.

The result is that depending on if I sort by asc or desc the mails premigration appear first in order, then the migrated emails appear in the middle in a random order and then the post migration emails appear in order. In all cases the date in the date column is correct hence I can see they are out of order.

Secondly, the GUI and Filters don't match each other so if a new mail comes in initially its fine, shows as unread and the unread filter displays it. If I then read that email on my Mac the Inbox in roundcube webmail still shows it as unread however applying the unread filter now doesnt include the email.

As a side note, my awful hosts have another webmail client and it too has issues with sorting but a slightly different result in that it is paging the inbox to circa 40 pages of 25 emails, each page correctly runs in date order however its not the whole inbox in date order - ie last email in page 1 is dated circa feb 2015 however first email on page 2 is nov 2017 (and the last april 2014).

They say its your softwares fault not their servers so I have to find the solution. Any help would be appreciated

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Re: Sort not sorting
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 11:55:55 AM »
It definitely there mail server. Unlike desktop clients Roundcube has to rely the mail server to do the sorting so if the sorting is messed up then its the mail server that is returning the wrong result. Most likely they have disabled sorting so they can cram more clients on the same mail server.