Author Topic: Understanding IMAP log in Roundcube mail  (Read 3276 times)

Offline shahnaz

Understanding IMAP log in Roundcube mail
« on: March 06, 2018, 09:26:40 PM »
After enabling debug log for IMAP in config.inc.php using $config['imap_debug'] = true', I extracted log msgs from IMAP log file. However, I am facing difficulty in understanding the log msgs due to
1. The volume of messages that are saved
2. Repetitive msgs so I can't get the mail action that triggered the log msg. For example, messages such as STATUS INBOX (Messages 3 UNSEEN 0), STATUS Priority, OK Fetch Completed are saved even when the mail client is idle. ie. as background checks. So it's difficult to get the list of messages that were solely triggered when actual user actions such as Browsing inbox, Moving email to Priority inbox took place. 

Please provide information on understanding IMAP log. How can I identify events solely triggered by user actions?

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
Re: Understanding IMAP log in Roundcube mail
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 02:34:48 AM »
in the imap_debug log there is no way to tell the difference between user tiggered actions and background ones (to IMAP they are all the same) at the start of each entry you should see an ID in <> eg:
Code: [Select]
[07-Mar-2018 07:30:32 +0000]: <xxxxxxxx> .... that relates to a specific user, you can see the ID matched up to users in the userlogins log. That way you can narrow your log entries down to a specific user. After than I guess use the web server access log to find the exact time the user did the action you are looking for and match up the time codes.
Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and more…

Offline shahnaz

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 10:17:45 AM »
Thank you for your reply. I understand how to link log entries to a specific user. But I also want to understand the message itself and when it is triggered. For example, when a user removes all emails from Trash (Empties trash), a clear log entry called 'OK Expunge Completed' is added. But, when a user moves an email from Inbox to another folder or views Inbox or loads attachment, what kind of msgs are saved in the log? Is there any document that explains the msgs in the IMAP log?

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 10:37:46 AM »
That is the IMAP protocol. You'd need to read the various RFCs etc to understand all the commands fully. Perhaps even check your IMAP server documentation for implementation specific stuff. Perhaps there is some resources out there someone else can point you at but I do not know of any. I think explain the IMAP protocol is beyound the specification of this form which is speically for Roundcube.
Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and more…

Offline shahnaz

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 11:27:01 AM »
Thank you!