Author Topic: HTML email not displaying properly  (Read 7383 times)

Offline datadyne

HTML email not displaying properly
« on: September 11, 2017, 03:37:54 PM »
All HTML emails received are having all of the html tags stripped. I traced the problem to rcube_washtml.php. Essentially, every instance of $node->tagName is returning NULL, no matter what is passed to the wash method.

As a workaround I replaced all instances of $node->tagName with $node->nodeName, and everything appears to now be working.

-- Extra Information --
My attempts at trying to figure out what is happening so far have been this.
I made a standalone copy of rcube_washtml (and the referenced rcube_base_replacer). https://pastebin.com/vVA4DY84
Added a var_dump($node->tagName); on line 323 for testing.

I've been testing on the HTML portion of an actual email I received: https://pastebin.com/ty9fiiNg (hopefully all personal information removed).

And I've been testing with the following code
Code: [Select]
require_once 'rcube_washtml.php'; // First pastebin link

//Options that I got from a var_dump of the options used on my server, removed cid_map as token is likely useless for my testing
$options = array(
    "show_washed"=> false,
    "allow_remote"=> false,
    "blocked_src"=> "program/resources/blocked.gif",
    "charset"=> "UTF-8",
//    "cid_map"=> array(
//        "cid:mouser-service-31B6CFD4"=> "./?_task=mail&_action=get&_mbox=INBOX&_uid=642&_token=wduAsrwQ1o462H4s3dBk7WAVQAzRY7rd&_part=2&_embed=1&_mimeclass=image"
//    ),
    "html_elements"=> array(0=> "body"),
);
$washer = new rcube_washtml($options);
$email = file_get_contents('email.html'); // Second pastebin link
$washer->wash($email);
When I run this on the server running Roundcube, it works perfectly, and prints out all of the tag names inside of the email. So I doubt this is an issue with my server environment. However, if I add the var_dump($node->tagName); inside the live rcube_washtml.php file inside of Roundcube, at the top of all my emails it prints out a NULL for each element. When the tagName property is NULL, the dumpHtml method of rcube_washtml defaults to replacing every tag with
Code: [Select]
$dump .= '<!-- ' . htmlspecialchars($node->tagName, ENT_QUOTES) . ' ignored -->'; which is exactly what I'm seeing when inspecting the html of my emails.

I'm really at a loss for what might be causing the tagName property to be empty for every DomElement. Any insight on what might be causing this would be appreciated.

Offline alec

Re: HTML email not displaying properly
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 03:01:00 PM »
Your PHP configuration and even version can be different when invoked by CLI and http server. What PHP version?

Offline jp-embedded

Re: HTML email not displaying properly
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 11:20:44 AM »
I am having this exact issue also after upgrading from ubuntu 16.04 to 16.04.4

your fix with replacing tag with node worked for me.