Author Topic: Mailserver no longer avaible for Thunderbird  (Read 2538 times)

Offline HorstvanGrass

Mailserver no longer avaible for Thunderbird
« on: September 23, 2018, 03:09:42 PM »
Hello there,
I recently change my SSL certs. of my webserver. Since this happening I'm no longer able to load new incoming Mails in Programs like Thunderbird, Outlook and co. Online there is no problem to get the mails through web application. Is this a common problem?
Thx for any help!

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Re: Mailserver no longer avaible for Thunderbird
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 08:25:40 PM »
If the mail server is miss-configured then it makes sence that it would be broken. Most likely Roundcube is either connecting with SSL or isn't verifying the certificate.

Offline dwasifark

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 10:11:34 AM »
Hello there,
I recently change my SSL certs. of my webserver. Since this happening I'm no longer able to load new incoming Mails in Programs like Thunderbird, Outlook and co. Online there is no problem to get the mails through web application. Is this a common problem?
Thx for any help!
You should have a look at the authorization logs on the server to see how the authentication attempts are failing.

If I had to guess, I'd say your previous configuration was using the same certs for the web server and the mail server (MTA).  If you deleted the old certs when you changed them for the web server, that would leave the MTA misconfigured to point at certs that are no longer there.

If that's the case, it means Roundcube works because the MTA doesn't require local sessions to authenticate, whereas your remote clients are required to authenticate and can't because of the cert problem.

That's my best guess on limited information.  Is this a Linux server or a Windows server?  Do you know what MTA is running?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 10:14:50 AM by dwasifark »

Offline dwasifark

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 11:25:42 AM »
You should also see if your server's IMAP service is using the certs.