Author Topic: .eml Files not shown as Attachments in 1.3.6  (Read 4730 times)

Offline saimike

.eml Files not shown as Attachments in 1.3.6
« on: October 24, 2018, 12:42:35 PM »
I am using Roundcube 1.3.6.  I have several customers using Outlook that forward me messages they receive asking if the message is legit or not.  I have sent them instructions on how to forward the message as an attachment in Outlook so I get an .eml with the full headers.  When I view one of these messages in Roundcube, the .eml is inline at the end of the message body and not listed as an attachment, so the header information of the attached .eml is not displayed.

If I use "Download (.eml)" and open their message with a text editor, I can scroll through and find the second set of headers which is the .eml attachment they forwarded.  Or, I can click on "Edit as new" and their message will display in the compose window with the .eml file listed as an attachment instead of inline.  I can then download the .eml and open it with a text editor to view the original headers.

Both of these are cumbersome just to get to the original headers.  Is there a configuration setting I missed that would allow me to see / open / download their .eml attachment directly from the Roundcube message display window?  I'm thinking this should work like images where you can "Display attached images below the message" and still be able to open / download them from the attachments area of the message display.

Offline alec

Re: .eml Files not shown as Attachments in 1.3.6
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 03:15:07 AM »
If the attachment part has standard message/rfc822 type defined, it should be listed on the attachments list and be possible to preview since version 1.3.0.

Offline saimike

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 02:03:54 PM »
I have another customer using postfix/dovecot/roundcube and I have a test account on that server so I sent myself a test message using Roundcube's forward as attachment.  Roundcube to Roundcube works properly and the .eml file is inline as well as shown as an attachment.  I know an Admin at a Microsoft shop that uses Outlook so I will have him send me a simple test message.  If that one fails, I will have two messages to compare to see if I can figure out what Outlook is doing differently.

Offline saimike

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 03:34:01 PM »
I created a simple plain text message for testing.  I sent that message to someone with Outlook and asked them to forward it back to me as an attachment.  I also sent the same message to a server running Roundcube where I have a test account and forwarded that message back to me as an attachment from Roundcube.  The message sent from remote Roundcube displays properly in my Roundcube - .eml attachment shown as attachment and inline at bottom of message body.  The message sent from Outlook does not display properly in my Roundcube - .eml attachment is missing but it does display inline at bottom of message body.  If I open the Outlook message with 'Edit as new' the .eml is properly shown as an attachment.

I can provide screenshots of both if that explains this issue better.

I saved each message as .eml from my Roundcube so I could look at the sections just prior to the attached .eml file.  They are different with Roundcube and Outlook, but I am over my head in determining why this affects the display in my Roundcube.

Outlook section just prior to original test message:

--_004_BY2PR20MB0374EEB3091F0383DAEF5B87CEF70BY2PR20MB0374namp_
Content-Type: message/rfc822
Content-Disposition: attachment;
   creation-date="Thu, 25 Oct 2018 18:05:05 GMT";
   modification-date="Thu, 25 Oct 2018 18:05:05 GMT"

Roundcube section just prior to original test message:

--=_b75da8ca0594bc20c9ebc96c2a966f4c
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Content-Type: message/rfc822;
 name="Plain Text Test Message to Pemcon.eml"
 filename="Plain Text Test Message to Pemcon.eml";
 size=2969

Offline saimike

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 05:08:21 PM »
I have found a fix by manually editing the Outlook message in my Maildir.  If I add a "filename" under "Content-Disposition: attachment;" then Roundcube properly displays an attachment in the message window and clicking it correctly opens it in a pop-up window.

Modified Outlook message:   

--_004_BY2PR20MB0374EEB3091F0383DAEF5B87CEF70BY2PR20MB0374namp_
Content-Type: message/rfc822
 filename="blah-blah.eml";
 creation-date="Thu, 25 Oct 2018 18:05:05 GMT";
 modification-date="Thu, 25 Oct 2018 18:05:05 GMT"

Is it possible for Roundcube to use the message subject or a fixed filename for the .eml attachment if one is not supplied by the originating mail client?

Offline alec

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 02:12:39 AM »
Confirmed with git-master version. I created a ticket for this issue. https://github.com/roundcube/roundcubemail/issues/6494

Offline saimike

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 04:40:10 AM »
Thanks for the quick fix.