Author Topic: help - Thunderbird works but can't get RoundCube to talk to server  (Read 4474 times)

Offline bferrell

I'm sure I'm being an idiot somehow, because everything hard is already working, but I can't seem to find the issue.

Ubuntu server 16.04/MySQL/PostFix/Dovecot

PostFix and Dovecot are working, and I can create, read, and send mail with Thunderbird with SSL on.  Roundcube installer is finished and reports "OK", but I get errors trying to test the connections ((Login failed for bferrell from 192.168.100.31. Could not connect to ssl://mail.bdfserver.com:993: Unknown reason)).

Thunderbird settings
RC status

Brett

Offline bferrell

Re: help - Thunderbird works but can't get RoundCube to talk to server
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 10:33:51 PM »
more data.  What gives?

Offline bferrell

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 12:06:10 AM »
Ok, here's another weird data point.  After banging my head against the wall for hours, I've forced RC to use port 143, and now I can get the tests to both work, but when I try to login for real I get an error still?

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 02:44:13 AM »
"unknown reason" typically means an SSL error. Are you using a self-signed cert on your mail server? If so try adding this to your roundcube config.inc.php:
Code: [Select]
$config['imap_conn_options'] = array(
  'ssl' => array(
    'verify_peer'  => false,
  ),
);
Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and more…

Offline bferrell

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 09:46:26 AM »
No, I have a let's encrypt cert, and like I mentioned, Thunderbird connects fine on SSL.  I got it "working" by.

1) use 143 instead of 993.  I saw a tip somewhere that 993 didn't work in RC on Ubuntu 16.04, and this apears true to me.

2) manually edit confi file to not append tld to the login user.  For some reason even though I had this blanked out in the installer, when I looked in the dovecot logs it was still using it, and it was in the config file.

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 10:09:04 AM »
iirc openssl treats lets encrypt certs the same as self signed ones so disabling the verification (using that config option I suggested) should do the trick.
Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and more…

Offline bferrell

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 12:03:40 PM »
OK, so, that does work.  Thanks so much!  To be fair, Let's Encrypt is a "real CA", so I didn't think that should be a factor, but I appreciate you being awesome.