Author Topic: single click/double click  (Read 12355 times)

Offline abe

single click/double click
« on: August 03, 2006, 08:20:34 AM »
I'm a pretty new roundcube users, and I've had searched the forum but didn't find similar threads.

I'm just wondering why double click is needed to read an email, while folders at the side-bar are triggered with a single click. From what I can see, they share the same arrow, and I suppose it would be more consistant to have either double click or single click action, or have a different arror type for different action.

Offline zdestiny

Re: single click/double click
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 10:50:27 AM »
Single click is used for selecting emails. We can use that for folders since there is no need to select folders.

Offline abe

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 01:59:57 AM »
yep I do understand the use of single click on folder and double click on emails. What I want to point out is the inconsistence of doing so, with the fact that they share exactly the same cursor icon.

would it be better if, say, the cursor to "select" email be changed back to normal arrow pointer, or the other way round, maybe the cursor to "open" a folder changed to "open link" one(the one you see when you're over a link, single click expected) :)

Offline jrmy

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 02:34:06 AM »
I have been working on a new theme and thought the same thing. So I change it. :P

If you want to do the same just open up the file titled "mail.css" in the default skins folder. /roundcubemail/skins/default/mail.css

Find
#messagelist tbody tr td
{
 height: 16px !important;
 height: 20px;
 padding: 2px;
 padding-right: 4px;
 font-size: 11px;
 overflow: hidden;
 white-space: nowrap;
 text-overflow: ellipsis;
 border-bottom: 1px solid #EBEBEB;
 cursor: pointer;
}

Where it says "cursor: pointer;" change it to "cursor: default".

Unlike some other things I have changed (such as rows highlighting when you hover) this does work in IE.

Offline abe

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 03:53:48 AM »
Thanks jrmy

I'll definitely try it out.

btw, you mind sharing your theme and other settings out also. I'm sure it would be cool.
even non-IE stuff (all my users are non-IE users anyway, haha)

Offline jrmy

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 04:13:52 PM »
Sure. I am still playing with some things (such as trying to make the multipane view resize dynamically) but once I get this figured out I will post what I have. :)

Offline jwerner

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 10:45:59 PM »
Quote from: abe
yep I do understand the use of single click on folder and double click on emails. What I want to point out is the inconsistence of doing so, with the fact that they share exactly the same cursor icon.

would it be better if, say, the cursor to "select" email be changed back to normal arrow pointer, or the other way round, maybe the cursor to "open" a folder changed to "open link" one(the one you see when you're over a link, single click expected) :)

Agreed: this is a significant usability error. Consistency is key. Users are trained to expect single-click when they see a hand cursor, double click with an arrow. I've recently installed roundcube for a small organization and did some usability testing (observing behavior standing behind someone using it for the first time) and this issue consistently arose with 5 different users, from complete webmail beginners to my co-site-developer.

Offline gjerek

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 01:48:58 PM »
I find that double click anoying too and customers think something is wrong.

If you want to get on message when you click directly on subject you can delete
 onclick="return rcube_event.cancel(event)" (both of them) from program/steps/mail/func.ini file,
and single click outside subject text will still mark message.

Offline kmn

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 09:52:07 PM »
Hello,

Thank you Gjerek for the mod. That was excellent.

Could you please advise how to change the "compose reply to" behaviour built into the sender column. It would be very good to make that column too just open the mail when clicked. I have a nasty time explaining to my users that it is not a bug but a feature when they ask why clicking on the message opens up a compose window.

Best regards

kmn