Author Topic: Roundcube and extension .rar - no download only a lot of letters in the browser  (Read 26549 times)

Offline speedy1205

Hey all together,

I am a new user in roundcube and I now love this script. It is really amazing to use it. All works fine and the installation was no prob. Now I have only on question. When I recieve an mail with an .rar file, than I klick it and the prowser shows me a lot of letter. Its not going to Safe me this file, no it shows only a lot of letters in the Browser window.

What can be the problem what I have now and how I can try to fix it. Can it be about MIME-Typ from my webspace or I have to change some in the code of roundcube ?

Of cauce I am using Release Candidate 2 :-)

Thanks for help

Offline speedy1205

Nobody can help me with this ? Please I didnt fin anythink to change to handl it.

Offline meuse

Rar files are compressed archives, typically 8 to 30 per cent smaller than Zip archives. Other enhancements incorporated in the Rar format include support for international character sets, which allows files with non-English filenames to be stored. For this last reason, Rar archives are popular in Russia and other countries.

Files in a Rar archive will decompress to exactly their original state. This is called "lossless compression." However you can't run a program directly from a Rar file. The files must be extracted or unzipped from the archive before they can be used.

There is no built-in support for Rar archives in any version of Windows. In order to open a Rar file you will need to use third party software.

Bitzipper:
http://www.bitzipper.com/download.html?aid=pl-techpro

WinRAR
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/desktop_software/compression_tools/winrar.cfm

Hope that helps.

Offline speedy1205

Thanks TheOldDrake,

what is a rar file is clear for me. The problem is I recieve is on my mail account and read this email with roundcube. Now I want this attachment to download. So I click on the file in the email test.rar and automatic it open me a page with stupid stuff (letters). Normal it should run a stream that I can download it and untar it. But its just open with millions of letters in my browsers. I dont have any choos to download it.

This is the problem :-)

Offline btcentral

Quote from: speedy1205
what is a rar file is clear for me. The problem is I recieve is on my mail account and read this email with roundcube. Now I want this attachment to download. So I click on the file in the email test.rar and automatic it open me a page with stupid stuff (letters). Normal it should run a stream that I can download it and untar it. But its just open with millions of letters in my browsers. I dont have any choos to download it.

This is the problem :-)

Sounds to me like the MIME settings for the .rar extension are not set correctly on your server.
It should be set to: application/x-rar-compressed

Regards,
BTCentral
http://www.btcentral.org.uk - Cheap, Top Quality Web-design.

Offline Kalan

I am getting the same issue, I can download any rar file from my web server fine just not within roundcube

Offline jgkiefer

When you click on it it will try to open instead of saving it to your computer.
Instead of clicking on it try using your right mouse button and use "save file as" and save it to your computer.

Offline mike

I use a Mac. There is no right mousebutton. What shoud i do?

Offline mromero

In Mac OS X, Right Click = Ctrl + Click