Author Topic: Admin page for Roundcube and WYSIWYG  (Read 29998 times)

Offline markg85

Admin page for Roundcube and WYSIWYG
« on: August 03, 2006, 10:54:50 PM »
Hey,

i`ve tested this script for a few days now (latest svn releases) and 2 things that i absulutely miss are a admin page and a WYSIWYG that must get in the script by default..

Now here some more info on what features i would like to see in the admin page:
  • Adding mail accounts
  • User management
  • Set global settings like 30 posts per page or something
  • Set database type and information (like mysql, mysqli, postgresql, sqlite etc)
  • option to enable a registration form on the main page (so i also miss a registration form)

there is alot more.. but these are the basic ones :)
Good luck and once this script is finally in version 1.0 it will most likely be THE replacement for horde and those types of clients because they have a poor user interface.. (yes the interface does mather if the script wants to be a success)

Thanx.

Reload

Re: Admin page for Roundcube and WYSIWYG
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 02:27:19 AM »
Quote from: markg85
Hey,

i`ve tested this script for a few days now (latest svn releases) and 2 things that
i absulutely miss are a admin page and a WYSIWYG that must get in the script by default..

Now here some more info on what features i would like to see in the admin page:
  • Adding mail accounts
  • User management
  • Set global settings like 30 posts per page or something
  • Set database type and information (like mysql, mysqli, postgresql, sqlite etc)
  • option to enable a registration form on the main page (so i also miss a registration form)

Roundcube is a Webmail client not a complete Control Panel system... (Do you see there options within Horder for e.g. ???)

there is alot more.. but these are the basic ones :)
Good luck and once this script is finally in version 1.0 it will most likely be THE replacement for horde and those types of clients because they have a poor user interface.. (yes the interface does mather if the script wants to be a success)

Thanx.

Horde is also working on a new client with AJAX its called DIMP, take a look....
( http://janschneider.de/news/25/252 & http://www.horde.org/dimp/ )

Roundcube will win the battle because it's a very fast webmail client, but it will only
stay quick without the things that aren't supposed to be on a webmail client.

Greetz,

Offline flosoft

• http://flosoft.biz
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 05:40:41 AM »
I agree. RC does not need an Admin Panel. It is the simplicity of the entire system which is nice. Anyway, RC wouldn't be able to setup account as there are thousand of different ways to create an account depending on mailserver and environement.
For example: Plesk and Courier IMAP / Qmail use a MySQL Database to manage the accounts.
You can also let Qmail and Courier use your local Linux accounts etc.

Offline markg85

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 04:55:00 PM »
i saw some shots of dimp and this MUST get in roundedcube if you ask me :D
(the rightmouse click thing)

Offline flosoft

• http://flosoft.biz
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 05:01:29 PM »
yes, rightclick would be nice.

Offline KeblerelfKC

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 02:21:51 AM »
I'm with the topic creator in regards to an Admin Page being a nice feature. I wouldn't need it to create the actual accounts on the mail server, but a separate page for creating the users inside of the MySQL database would be a plus. Also, modifying settings in some of the files like db.inc.php and main.inc.php and that type of deal would be pretty handy.

If this was added I definitely think it should be on separate pages rather than being accessed as another area within the main RC client. Those that wanted to use it could...those that didn't could just ignore it.

As far as WYSIWYG goes I'm indifferent. If I had a lot of email users I could see it being a common request from certain people, but since I don't it doesn't really affect me much one way or the other.

Reload

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 03:37:50 AM »
Quote from: KeblerelfKC
I'm with the topic creator in regards to an Admin Page being a nice feature. I wouldn't need it to create the actual accounts on the mail server, but a separate page for creating the users inside of the MySQL database would be a plus. Also, modifying settings in some of the files like db.inc.php and main.inc.php and that type of deal would be pretty handy.

Again, read this on the main RC page:
   "RoundCube Webmail is a browser-based multilingual IMAP client with an application-like user interface. "
If you want to create users, use a 3d party script...

Offline Slug

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 09:52:51 AM »
I can't think of a single reason I would need/use an admin page in any webmail client. I think the direction that RC is going is the best one.

If you need to add users to your mail server then log in to the mail server and add them...

Michael
Roundcube SVN 1335|PHP 5.2.4|hMailServer 5|Win 2003 SP2|IIS 6

Offline EricS

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 11:02:01 AM »

Offline Scubes13

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 04:05:34 PM »
I too think that RC does what it does well and should work to do even better at it.

With that said, I would at least like a nice seperate admin interface that carried the "look and feel" of RoundCube.

:-P Anyone interested in a project/plugin for administration of diff IMAP backends using an AJAX app that looks and feels like RC?

:-D

Kevin L.

Offline KeblerelfKC

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 11:59:02 PM »
Quote from: Reload
Quote from: KeblerelfKC

Again, read this on the main RC page:
  "RoundCube Webmail is a browser-based multilingual IMAP client with an application-like user interface. "
If you want to create users, use a 3d party script...

Yeah...I realize that, but it also has it's own user entries in MySQL that are specific to just RC. Those are the users I was referring to...not accounts on the mailserver. Here's an example of my situation and maybe it will make a little more sense as to why I thought a separate admin tool for ONLY the RC users in MySQL would be handy.

When I create a new mail user with Dreamhost I can set the address to whatever I want but it generates it's own ID that they will have to use to connect to the mailserver. So if I create john.doe@mydomain.com then their login ID would be something like m209846...something that I certainly wouldn't expect John Doe to remember. RC has the auto-create user feature to create the user in it's own database but with my setup I still have to go back in and add an alias, modify the identity record for them, etc within the database. My other option is skipping the auto-create feature (which is how I have it set up currently) and just doing it all through MySQL. Neither of those options is a horrible burden or anything, but doing it through a little web form would just be nicer is all.

I agree that it shouldn't include admin stuff for things like creating the actual email accounts on the mailserver and what not. I just figured since it would be specific to administering only RC related stuff then having it included as part of the RC distribution would make sense. If you all don't want it in there though that's cool. RC is already great so I'm not going to complain. :)

Offline jrmy

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 04:09:54 AM »
I could see this being an handy side project mostly for webhosts and the like. Although I have not played with multiple accounts in roundcube, from my view, it looks like if you disable login for non users you must add new users by hand. I could see how this would be a huge pain for admins.

I would actually be surprised if a webhost had not already written some sort of script to full fill this function. It does not see too difficult to me at the moment.

Offline dogcow

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 04:31:31 PM »
Quote from: Slug
I can't think of a single reason I would need/use an admin page in any webmail client. I think the direction that RC is going is the best one.

If you need to add users to your mail server then log in to the mail server and add them...

Michael

Adding admin panel and account setup features...that's going towards the direction of Atmail, which is very very expensive. Roundcube should stay what it is.

Offline samuelmf

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 01:40:27 PM »
Quote from: markg85
i saw some shots of dimp and this MUST get in roundedcube if you ask me :D
(the rightmouse click thing)

That webmail client supports Cpanel?

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 10:36:06 PM »
DIMP does work with cpanel all you need is the current HEAD version of both Horde, the Horde Framework, and IMP to run. But DIMP is only on 1.0-ALPHA. here's there site: http://www.horde.org/dimp/