Author Topic: Filter and/or Spamassassin settings  (Read 25397 times)

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
Filter and/or Spamassassin settings
« on: February 16, 2008, 08:42:01 AM »
I have been trying to come up with a way of allowing users to edit their mail filters and/or their Spamassassin settings from RC (or any other web interface for that matter). My setup uses file based configs rather than storing the information in a db (ie .forward files for Exim and user_prefs for SA).

I know I could migrate all the information to a db or give the webserver write access to the files but I donÂ’t really want to do either of those.

I was thinking about taking the idea of Courierpassd and having a telnet client which accepted a userÂ’s POP/IMAP login and then offered a series to read/edit/delete rules.

My thinking is that this would me more secure that giving the webserver write access to the files as it requires a login and actual editing of the files would be done by the program so could be easily restricted.

I have hunted around the net and canÂ’t find anything that already does this so I have been playing around with the source code of Courierpassd but I have never used C before and I can make it read out files but I am failing at string manipulation.

Does any one know of any programs that do what I am looking for? Or have any suggestions on how to go about it? Or want to help?
Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and more…

Offline evilbunny

Re: Filter and/or Spamassassin settings
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 07:28:20 PM »
Quote from: JohnDoh
Does any one know of any programs that do what I am looking for? Or have any suggestions on how to go about it? Or want to help?

You know what, that sounds identical to Sieve filtering and there is a bunch of apps that can already do what you are proposing :)

Have a look at my reply here: http://roundcubeforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=1879.msg10558#msg10558

I haven't had the time to properly look into getting something integrated with roundcube, but would love nothing more if someone beats me to it.

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 01:52:00 PM »
Yes, I guess the managesieve interface does do what I am suggesting but that would mean changing all my filtering. Also there is still an issue with the user_prefs file. I am still hunting for solutions to that.

Offline evilbunny

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 07:44:12 PM »
Quote from: JohnDoh
Yes, I guess the managesieve interface does do what I am suggesting but that would mean changing all my filtering.

Why re-invent the wheel especially with existing (hopefully) well tested/secured code? Not to mention it gives you a variety of front ends you don't need to write, or at least mostly write.

Also there is still an issue with the user_prefs file. I am still hunting for solutions to that.

Are you talking about spamassassin? If so just configure spamassassin to load preferences from SQL.

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 03:39:39 AM »
I am trying to avoid re-inventing the wheel, thats why I asked if any one knew of existing solutions that I haven't found yet. I am trying to avoid loading the data into SQL just because I dont want the mail system to be relient on any other systems. I am probably just being paranoid but if I can find a away to do it with file based configs then, in my eyes, it would be a lot better than SQL based ones.