Author Topic: No longer able to send emails with RC2 - squirrelmail works fine.  (Read 10617 times)

Offline moesasji

For some reason Roundcube is no longer able to deliver my emails through Exim when using TLS.
Probably because exim or dovecot got upgraded without me noticing the problem soon enough.
Squirrelmail is able to deliver without any problems, so dovecot/exim in itself are configured well.

I did find a work-around for roundcube, which is basically replacing

Code: [Select]
$rcmail_config['smtp_server'] = 'localhost';
by

$rcmail_config['smtp_server'] = '';
which makes that the apache mail() function gets used. This workaround works, but the header of the mail shows that the mail is being sent by apache@localhost and no longer by me@localhost. So not really what I want as this appears to bypass the TLS connection to Exim locally on my machine.

The error-message that I get when trying to sent the email with smtp_server set to localhost is:

Feb 23 09:38:56 PulsarX2 exim[8926]: 2008-02-23 09:38:56 dovecot_login authenticator failed for localhost (####) [127.0.0.1]: 435 Unable to authenticate at present: authentication socket connection error
Feb 23 09:38:56 PulsarX2 exim[8926]: 2008-02-23 09:38:56 dovecot_login authenticator failed for localhost (####) [127.0.0.1]: 435 Unable to authenticate at present: authentication socket connection error

Does anybody have a suggestion how to get this working properly, or is this a known bug??

ps) software:
*) Roundcube-RC2
*) Exim-4.68
*) Dovecot-1.0.10

Offline moesasji

Re: No longer able to send emails with RC2 - squirrelmail works fine.
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 07:39:41 AM »
I noticed another problem that is potentially related to the above problem.

Currently when sending an attachment with an email the attachment loses its filename and shows up as file_2, file_3 in the mail that has been sent. As this means that people not very handy with a computer can no longer open the attachment with a single click. I think this is related to the use of php mail() function, but have no way of testing.

Could somebody provide me with a suggestion what goes wrong and how to solve this. It has been working fine for a long time, but stopped working for some reason and I'm close to give up on roundcube as this makes it unusuable.

Offline RCK

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 06:44:47 PM »
I got the same problem with Roundcube-0.1.
I didn't had problem with Roundcube-0.1 rc1, I will activate log and try to debug.

Offline moesasji

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 10:59:04 AM »
Thanks RCK...good to hear that I'm not the only one that is driven insane by this problem.
Hopefully you will be able to figure out what is going on.

ps) Note that RC1 has been working fine for me as well, but just stopped working at some point.
Unfortunately I can't track down what caused it as I noticed it after a rebuild of the whole system.