Author Topic: Speed Issues  (Read 7009 times)

Offline jbouklas

Speed Issues
« on: August 07, 2006, 10:01:12 AM »
I just upgraded from using beta1 for about a week. I notice that beta2 is WAY slower in navigation than beta1 was. Does anybody else share this experience? It's mostly from navigating between mailboxes. I only have about two dozen emails in my account, with nothing in the trash. Otherwise, the new beta looks good,

-Jim

Offline bpat1434

• Administrator
Re: Speed Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 10:50:35 AM »
Is caching on or off?

of course, you deserve a better explanation.....

There are many things that can contribute to the program being slow. The two largest are the IMAP connection and the DB connection. If you're connecting to an off-host IMAP server, it tends to slow down. If the DB connection is off-host, that too can slow it down.

Basically, if you haven't looked under the hood, RC is a mix between a database application, and an IMAP client. With any IMAP client, things can slow down depending upon speed of IMAP server, current users connected, resources being shared elsewhere and other things. The IMAP server is typically the culprit, if you don't have caching enabled.

With caching enabled, the DB connection is typically the culprit in slowing the program down. Each time you move, a DB query is executed and the result returned. The speed can fluctuate depending upon number of concurrent connections being used, speed of DB server, shared resources elsewhere, open but idle connections. These things can contribute to it being slow.

So it's not necessarily the code that's being slow (although in this case it may be) but rather everything joined together can make it seem slower than normal.

Offline jbouklas

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 11:04:48 AM »
Caching is off. While it may not be the fault of the code, it wasn't this slow yesterday, while I had beta1 installed. Could be a coincidence- my host could just be having an off day.

-Jim

Offline fissy

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 02:06:53 PM »
I'm having the same experience.

Before upgrading from Version 0.1-20060314 it would take about 2 seconds to load my Inbox (containing 5,500 e-mails). It now takes about 20 seconds, during which time the httpd process is pegged at 100%. Smaller folders (~200 e-mails) load in around five seconds, but were near instantaneous before.
Before and after the upgrade, I had caching set to true.

Sorry about the large time between revisions I've installed - that obviously makes it quite hard to work out what is going on.

Thanks,
fissy