Poll

On a scale of 1-5, how would your rate the current stable release of Roundcube?

133 (30.3%)
222 (50.6%)
65 (14.8%)
14 (3.2%)
5 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 214

Author Topic: Rate Roundcube from 1-5  (Read 137800 times)

Offline WazzoTheMartian

• http://warrenmars.com/index.htm
An excellent start!
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2010, 10:56:42 PM »
I'm convinced that webmail is the ONLY sensible solution to the problem of emailing from multiple machines and locations. 3rd party commercial mail sites like Gmail and Hotmail leave your communications open to data mining which means you either pay for a confidential service like Fastmail or use the webmail from your ISP or webhost.

If you've got your own host it's a no-brainer. You're already paying for the service and you've got data security, admin level control and unlimited mailbox parameters. Webmail!!! :)

RoundCube works well (for a webmail client) and provides a superior experience compared to Squirrel Mail or The Horde. A big "Well done!" to those responsible. Kudos! :cool:

Of course, there is a fair amount to be done before RoundCube offers the same functionality as Thunderbird or Outlook, and I shall be making some suggestions elsewhere, but this is an excellent start.

Keep up the good work. :)

Offline johan67

Best of the rest !
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2010, 06:41:17 PM »
Version 0.3.1  Stable > 3/5

It's best of the rest, but still further improvements are needed. In Belgium and the Netherlands a lot of webhosting companies use DirectAdmin as their control panel, and RoundCube is often pre-installed on their servers, which is great for inexperienced users who need webmail. Of course they only install the stable versions, without any plugins or patches ...

Further improvements are needed before I really could recommend 100% RC to (all) inexperienced users. For example the option of top-posting in a reply, which is really highly needed imho. I have seen some reply-emails from friends, whom I recommended using RC, and the combination of bottom-postings (RC) and top-postings (Outlook) in one and the same reply-email is very confusing and gives a very unprofessional impression.

I hope version 0.4 stable is released soon, which resolves issues like top-posting, and then RC really rocks !
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 06:47:14 PM by johan67 »

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Rate Roundcube from 1-5
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2010, 12:16:44 PM »
Quote from: johan67;29118
Version 0.3.1  Stable > 3/5

It's best of the rest, but still further improvements are needed. In Belgium and the Netherlands a lot of webhosting companies use DirectAdmin as their control panel, and RoundCube is often pre-installed on their servers, which is great for inexperienced users who need webmail. Of course they only install the stable versions, without any plugins or patches ...

Further improvements are needed before I really could recommend 100% RC to (all) inexperienced users. For example the option of top-posting in a reply, which is really highly needed imho. I have seen some reply-emails from friends, whom I recommended using RC, and the combination of bottom-postings (RC) and top-postings (Outlook) in one and the same reply-email is very confusing and gives a very unprofessional impression.

I hope version 0.4 stable is released soon, which resolves issues like top-posting, and then RC really rocks !

Top-posting is an option in 0.4beta and will be in 0.4stable witch is currently planed for release on 08/04/10.

Offline martinapinto

Rate Roundcube from 1-5
« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2010, 07:35:42 AM »
I'd give roundcube a 4/5 I guess. I use it for my website e-mail and it's better than any of the other default options on hostagator at least.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 02:15:28 AM by rosali »

Offline stkcode

Rate Roundcube from 1-5
« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2010, 06:46:15 PM »
Stable 0.4.  It's one of the best web mails around but lacks a couple of features....such as message priorities...which most other web mails do have.

Optional text under the message toolbar would nice for the default theme so new/computer illiterate users can easily figure what each button does.  I realize there is the mouse over that does this...but most users aren't going to know that unless each one is made aware.  

The recently added plugin support is great...hopefully compose templates will be a milestone for the future...much like the shared folder appears to be for 0.5.

The identities is a little weird for sasl authenticated users.  It does allow one to create incoming alias by using the reply-to field as the alias though.

I like that roundcube is using the modern technology and not the really ancient stuff for backward browser compatiblility.  Anyone running a web browser older then one major version is simply too old.  Those old browsers are not going to support future versions of css or xhtml.

The drag-and-drop has been something I've wanted for while...saves so many extra mouse clicks.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 06:50:01 PM by stkcode »

Offline mattfox27

Rate Roundcube from 1-5
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2010, 08:48:23 PM »
I'm new to RoundCube and I have to say it is awesome I GIVE IT A 20+...it is everything I need plus a ton more and once you figure out how to config its super easy.  Just an FYI coming from a new user the plugin section is a little confusing you should make it a little more easier to understand for new users.  For instance there is a separate zip file that contains many plugins listed on the RC depository I did not know right away that some of the plugins were there and that zip file had to be downloaded.  Also some more comprehensive plugin descriptions would be cool.  What happened to me was at the bottom of the RC plugin page there is a file called remember_me.php just sitting there by its self I thought that was the remember_me plugin so I downloaded that php file and made a directory and put that php file in there, set conf and it looked like it was working because there was a remember me checkbox in my login but that does not work you have to download the zip file and in there is the full plugin...Just my 2 cents...I think this is awsome A+++++++

Thanks So Much to all the developers and everyone...very appreciated  ;D

mikeanderson6

Rate Roundcube from 1-5
« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2010, 12:47:04 AM »
Hello to all of you,
I give 3/5 because I am new here but I impressed,
Many topics is here for discussion and share question to solve problem,
I really like it I think is best rank for this forum from new users.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 08:56:17 AM by Julius Caesar »

Offline CarlosinFL

Rate Roundcube from 1-5
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2010, 08:14:25 AM »
I rate round cube a solid 3.5. Almost a '4' but it lacks short in a few areas:

- Interface seems dull and could use a more polished / updated look
- Themes are virtually non existent.
- Address Book has no entries for detailed data like 'Address' or 'Alt. Email'.

javedjee77

cleveland taxi
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2010, 03:39:43 AM »
I agree with you.

Offline Rain

Rate Roundcube from 1-5
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2010, 09:37:24 AM »
I rate this as 4/5

Offline dgnelson

Rate Roundcube from 1-5
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2011, 12:56:42 AM »
Looks great.  I used openwebmail for years, but it is now seriously broken under debian and is not usable.  Squirrelmail is very plain looking.  I resorted to using gmail to fetch my domain mail, but this has many drawbacks as well.  Rc looks good and is easy to use.  Full credit to the developers.  It does everything that I need.

Someone in this thread said they would like a feature to select more than one email at a time.  I was thinking the same then realised that you can, just use the ctrl key.  No need for a reduncant tick box.

Offline CarlosinFL

Rate Roundcube from 1-5
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2011, 11:11:15 AM »
Using now 0.5 beta = 4/5

- Still wish the Address Book was more featured. How hard is to add additional fields for 'company', contact phone #'s, additional email addresses, etc etc etc?

- The menu interface / GUI could use a polished more intuitive look like Atmail.

- Needs more themes!

Offline Changie

• http://www.wartsandremoval.com
Rate Roundcube from 1-5
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2011, 02:34:06 PM »
I like it but I have just started using it. So I will have to use it a while longer to say if I would rank it over the others I have used in the past. But it does what I need it to. So that is a plus :)

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Rate Roundcube from 1-5
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2011, 03:09:32 PM »
Quote from: CarlosinFL;32248
Using now 0.5 beta = 4/5

- Still wish the Address Book was more featured. How hard is to add additional fields for 'company', contact phone #'s, additional email addresses, etc etc etc?

- The menu interface / GUI could use a polished more intuitive look like Atmail.

- Needs more themes!

RoundCube v0.6 will update the address book, I'm going to wait until at least 0.5 stable before I release any themes for RoundCube.

Offline Fiskegrej

• http://www.fiskegrej-online.dk
Rate Roundcube from 1-5
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2011, 07:20:43 AM »
I like but just started using it