Author Topic: Is Roundcube dead?  (Read 4113 times)

Offline PietM

Is Roundcube dead?
« on: August 26, 2019, 05:04:57 AM »
Hi all,

i need a modern Webmailer and Roundcube was the first choise, but after months of announcement nothing happens. What is with 1.4? RC1 was released 28. Februar and the website has a copyright from 2018!

Piet

Offline alec

Re: Is Roundcube dead?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 05:59:41 AM »
RC2 will be released soon.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 02:33:17 PM »
The best way to tell if a project is dead is to look at the code repository to see if there is still being work done. As you can see here: https://github.com/roundcube/roundcubemail/commits/master there is plenty ongoing commits.

Offline PietM

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 03:51:22 AM »
You can also program yourself to death. At some point it has to be finished and for more than a year you can not believe it will finish someday. Very sad ...

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 11:43:12 AM »
A software project is never done, it always need to be updated and maintained otherwise it would be dead. If you always rushed to finish everything it would just result in burn out. I'd rather have it built right and well tested then rushed and broken.

Offline PietM

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 03:50:11 AM »
A software project is never done, it always need to be updated and maintained otherwise it would be dead. If you always rushed to finish everything it would just result in burn out. I'd rather have it built right and well tested then rushed and broken.

Ok, those are arguments that I absolutely accept. The problem is that I have customers who are getting anxious because they expect responsive design and do not want to wait any longer. It is not a completely new development and I have no more arguments why it takes so long.

Offline cardsolutions

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 05:00:49 AM »

Offline joellinn

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 05:04:31 AM »
Ok, those are arguments that I absolutely accept. The problem is that I have customers who are getting anxious because they expect responsive design and do not want to wait any longer. It is not a completely new development and I have no more arguments why it takes so long.

Roundcube is open source, you should be able to contribute yourself, hire some PHP dev from upwork for example or pay someone from the core devs to accelerate the implementation of the features you need.

I think the issue users having here is that this process doesn't seem to be very transparent. Of course the RC phase is not suitable for a new dev jumping in and trying to help but if you see a tough development cycle ahead for a feature release please try to break up the things that need to be done so that the users can track development and maybe even contribute.

Users getting edgy about new releases or their absence just shows that they really like roundcube :-* ...

Offline Luna Moon

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2019, 11:39:47 AM »

I think the issue users having here is that this process doesn't seem to be very transparent. Of course the RC phase is not suitable for a new dev jumping in and trying to help but if you see a tough development cycle ahead for a feature release please try to break up the things that need to be done so that the users can track development and maybe even contribute.

Users getting edgy about new releases or their absence just shows that they really like roundcube :-* ...

I agree with this part. Transparency would help.