Author Topic: Roundcube not responding in Chrome  (Read 3521 times)

Offline mjnewton

Roundcube not responding in Chrome
« on: December 18, 2019, 04:52:18 PM »
Given the subject line and the fact I am more suspecting the blame to lie with Chrome than Roundcube this post almost deserves to be in Off Topic but I do hope someone can help...

When accessing Roundcube from Chrome I am often (very often in fact) finding the GUI frozen and unresponsive. In particular, it is usually sitting with the 'Loading...' pop-up graphic in the corner, or if I've performed a search 'Searching...' etc. In such a scenario if I check the backend server everything is running fine - no resource issues, all apps functioning etc. I never get this with any other browser and so it really does feel like something between Roundcube and Chrome. Hitting F5 to refresh brings things back (until it happens again).

Does anyone have any idea how I could pin point what the issue it? I feel like the answer could be lurking somewhere in Chrome's developer tools function but having clicked around randomly in there it is serving only to show how ignorant I am of the diagnostic tools available there.

My specific system details are as follows:

Rouncube: Roundcube v1.4.1
Web Server: Apache v2.4.29-1ubuntu4.11
Browser: Chrome v78.0.3904.108-1

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Re: Roundcube not responding in Chrome
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 12:16:42 PM »
Does the same thing happen if you open Roundcube in a Incognito window?

Offline mjnewton

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 04:01:00 PM »
Thanks for the thought SKaero. Unfortunately it still happens in incognito mode. I was rather hoping it might've been one of my plugins/extensions to blame but alas not.

I'll really stuck on this. Everything works fine in Firefox, and whilst I don't use my Windows machine much I'm pretty sure I've never seen an issue with Chrome on there (which is sync'd to have the same plugins/extensions running).

It really must be down to something specific to me / my setup as Roundcube + Ubuntu + Chrome must surely be a very common combination.

I might try a completely wipe of Chrome, cache etc, re-install it without any customisations at all and see if the problem goes away.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 05:06:09 PM »
When the problem happens are there any errors in the js console? That is the log that you see in the developer tools under console.

Offline mjnewton

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 05:42:57 PM »
Not that I can see.

What I'm go to do is spin up a VM with a similar operating environment and try Chrome on there to see if the problems appears.

Offline mjnewton

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 03:12:29 PM »
Thought I'd follow-up on this as I've finally tracked the problem down and thought it worthy of posting about in case anyone finds themselves in this rather odd situation...

Whilst I was having problems with Roundcube via Chrome I was also having other issues with TinyCamMonitor (an IP camera app) on my Android phone and access to a locally-hosted Zoneminder (CCTV motion detection) installation. Looking back, the symptoms were similar insofar that there was occasional lack of responsiveness, but only when on the LAN and not accessing remotely. What I didn't do was spot the connection between all these symptoms and suspect a common cause. I also didn't put enough significance on the fact that I never used to get these problems - indeed all these services have been running for many years without issue - so what had changed?

Well, at the end of the last year I received an 'upgraded' VDSL modem/router from my broadband provider. I've put 'upgraded' in quotes as whilst it might've provided better WiFi performance it turns out that whilst it supports NAT Loopback it evidently doesn't cope too well when stretched with a high number of connections being tromboned through it. Swapping back to my old router has solved all my problems.

To help with keywords for web searches, the new modem/router is a Plusnet Hub One which is actually a rebadged BT Home Hub 5 and sure enough I've also tried a 'real' BT Home Hub 5 with exactly the same issue. NAT loopback works, but not when pushed. My old (they stopped making them 5 years ago I think?) Thomson TG582n router (with seperate BT Openreach VDSL modem) works fine.