Author Topic: Outlook Doesn't Import Junk emails  (Read 2864 times)

Offline rozel

Outlook Doesn't Import Junk emails
« on: December 23, 2019, 05:54:34 AM »
Hi

I am a cPanel user and I see my Webmail using Roundcube.  I use Outlook 2019 as my email client and use the POP3 method to download and view my emails.

SpamAssassin is enabled and spam emails are going into the Junk Folder in Roundcube correctly.  However they are not being imported into Outlook.  I need to use Outlook as do other members of my family and to have to keep looking in Roundcube to view the Spam is not the way forward for us - we need to see the Junk in Outlook's Junk Folder.

How can I achieve this please?

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Re: Outlook Doesn't Import Junk emails
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 05:49:48 PM »
Use IMAP instead of POP.

Offline rozel

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 06:01:49 AM »
Thanks @SKaero and a merry Christmas to you and all on here!

Are you saying there is no way I can download my spam emails into Outlook, using the POP3 protocol?

My family and I, (I don't operate a business) have used POP3 for donkies and moving to IMAP, is a step into the unknown for us.  I administer 3 email addresses on a domain I own (myself / my wife / my daughter who lives with us).  Each of us has a PC or Laptop, an Android Tablet and an Android Phone.  The Tablets and Phones use Aquamail but the PC and Laptops use Outlook.  Outlook is set to download our emails from where we organise into Folders, which we have or create - I have emails dating back to 1997 - and as and when we upgrade our hardware or OS, we carefully save our .pst files which are then "transferred" to the new.  This has worked very well indeed for many many years.  Our Outlook clients are set to leave our emails on the server(s) for 14 days which allows us to view our emails on our Android devices.  The emails on these devices are deleted after a few weeks as they will have been stored or deleted in Outlook permanently. 

Recently though I have been forced to move from a legacy platform to cPanel by my Domain Provider.  I have had to move to SSL encryption, which has knocked out the viability of using Norton's Antispam because it doesn't support encryption and if we use non-encryption then it doesn't support the ports necessary.  So I am where I am.  Not being able to see our Spam in Outlook on our devices is a big problem for us, or rather having to view it separately on Roundcube.

My basic knowledge of managing emails is poor and am more than willing to take advice as to what I should do, if there isn't a way to get our junk into our Outlooks' Junk Folders.  My preference therefore is to ensure that there isn't a way to do this using the POP3 protocol.  If there isn't but there definately is using the IMAP protocol, then I need to ensure that we can all carry on with our current modus operandi as we do now.  I have read many articles explaining IMAP but they are either far too technical for me to understand or they don't cover using different email clients on separate devices.

I hope some very kind person therefore will explain where I am now and what options are open to me, explaining in some detail how things will work.

Thanks for bearing with me and look forward to learning what outcome(s) are open to me.

Thanks

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 01:40:12 AM »
POP is a legacy protocol that I don't use, isn't part of Roundcube, and I'm not familiar with so I can't say there is no way to do it but typically POP only downloads one folder and not all folders like IMAP does. You could reach out to your email provider and see if they have any idea on how to do it.