Author Topic: Missing "show email view" button (Larry)  (Read 4823 times)

Offline cjones

Missing "show email view" button (Larry)
« on: February 06, 2020, 02:47:55 PM »
Upgraded to RC 1.4.1 and noticed this newer version is missing the "show email" button at the bottom of the message list, as previous version had.  Why was this removed?  I comb through dozens of emails (and hidden email panel allows me to see way more topics) skipping over spam, and then selecting show email to show the emails I'm interested in.  Otherwise, I have to view the email, then go back to the email list, RELOADING the list after each email.  This is time-consuming.

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
Re: Missing "show email view" button (Larry)
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 02:35:14 AM »
Upgraded to RC 1.4.1 and noticed this newer version is missing the "show email" button at the bottom of the message list, as previous version had.
What version did you upgrade from? In version 1.3 the `preview_pane` config option was replace with a new `layout` option. Both the Classic and Larry skins support 3 types of layout: widescreen, desktop and list. Because there are 3 options a single checkbox to toggle the preview pane was no longer appropriate and so the layout option was moved to the list options pane (you can access this by clicking on the icon at the right hand end of the message list header bar). The option was also added in the Settings screen under Preferences > Mailbox View > Layout in version 1.3.1. Note: The Elastic skin supports on the widescreen layout option.

I think the idea of constantly changing layouts is an usual one and probably not something the devs considered when introducing the layout option. Having said that I don't see any reason why a plugin could not add a preview pane toggle option into the Classic or Larry skins when they are in list or desktop layout modes. A simpler option may be to open the message(s) you wish to read in a new tab. That can be done by middle clicking on the message subject or by right clicking on it and selecting open in new tab/window.
Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and moreā€¦

Offline cjones

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 04:55:35 PM »
Sorry, I'm not talking about an option to select a layout.  I'm talking about the removal of a display option WITHIN the Larry layout.  The button to show/hide the email (preview) was removed.

Offline cjones

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 05:03:14 PM »
To be precise, you can see the button displayed at 3:09 of the YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMJm6DuLwUo  Note the button in the extreme lower right at the bottom of the email list.

Offline beckfield

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 11:31:18 AM »
I agree. The removal of the "Toggle Preview" button was a terrible decision from a usability standpoint.