Author Topic: still performance...  (Read 2956 times)

Offline mtrojahn

still performance...
« on: August 11, 2008, 10:22:12 PM »
Hello,

A few months ago I posted something about the performance problems on 0.1-stable. By that time, that version would eat all the CPU power of my server, making it useless...

Since it was a production server, I downgraded again to the previous version I had which was a few years old and it started to work again...

Now, I just tested 0.2-alpha and the same proble as 0.1-stable is still there... Apache processes eat all the CPU with these 2 versions...

This is the output of Apache's status mod:

Server Version: Apache/2.2.9 (Unix)
Server Built: Jun 25 2008 10:29:18
Current Time: Monday, 11-Aug-2008 23:05:41 BRT
Restart Time: Monday, 11-Aug-2008 15:50:21 BRT
Parent Server Generation: 0
Server uptime: 7 hours 15 minutes 20 seconds
Total accesses: 24070 - Total Traffic: 136.0 MB
CPU Usage: u6998.67 s65.2 cu.22 cs0 - 27% CPU load
.922 requests/sec - 5.3 kB/second - 5.8 kB/request
88 requests currently being processed, 37 idle workers

=================================================================

Unfortunatelly, my knowledge is not enough to debug and find what is causing this, so I ask: Should I just continue using a 3year old version of Roundcube or there's something I can do about it?
Marcelus Trojahn

Offline bpat1434

• Administrator
still performance...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 11:05:43 AM »
I don't know, but I'm pretty sure there might be a bad configuration somewhere.  I had PHP running out of memory the other day because I had set the memory limit to "16MB" instead of "16M".  So check your configurations.  There may be something wrong.

I don't see this with 0.2alpha; however, I may have a faster server than you.  But I can't say that I see this problem.

Offline mtrojahn

still performance...
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »
I dont know... It happened with 2 different servers already... PHP is configured with the default Gentoo configuration...

Is there any way I can find out what is going on? All I see is 4 different apache processes on with "top" eating all the CPU...
Marcelus Trojahn

Offline bpat1434

• Administrator
still performance...
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 05:15:31 PM »
Could be anything.  Roundcube isn't really Apache intensive.  I could understand if you said it was slow in the browser, but eating Apache, I would guess you have a rogue process or a poorly configured module.  You could try adding some debug information to RC to display the current process ID.  If you have POSIX enabled (it is by default) you can use posix_getpid() to get the current process ID.  output that to RC so you can see what it is, then check your top to see if it really is one of the rogue processes.

Hopefully it's not :)