Author Topic: Empty startup greeting  (Read 3499 times)

Offline Enncee

Empty startup greeting
« on: September 05, 2020, 07:29:43 PM »
Hi. I am not an expert in this so bear with me. I have on my testinviroment set up a copy of my server 2012 in virtual box. I have latest beta of hmailserver installed and v1.48 of roundcube and I am using certifytheweb for my certificates. I have succesfully installed certicates for ssl in hmailserver using the powershell script from https://astrix.co.uk/news/2019/8/14/automating-hmailserver-certificate-renewal. When I try to login on Roundcube using port 993 I get the error in the log (Empty start up greeting) and can not connect to the IMAP server. If I in hmailserver choose not to use a certificate for 993 I can connect succesfully. Any ideas or suggestions. I am Using php 7.1 b.t.w.

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
Re: Empty startup greeting
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 02:16:02 AM »
port 993 typically requires TLS do you have the "tls://" prefix on your default_host config var in Roundcube?
Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and moreā€¦

Offline Enncee

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 06:01:54 AM »
port 993 typically requires TLS do you have the "tls://" prefix on your default_host config var in Roundcube?

When changing ssl:// to tls:// I get the same error in my log:IMAP Error: Login failed for user@example.com against server.example.com from 127.0.0.1. Empty startup greeting (server.example.com:993) in C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WebApps\Site\webmail\program\lib\Roundcube\rcube_imap.php on line 200 (POST /webmail/?_task=login&_action=login)

Offline Enncee

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 10:23:52 AM »
Ok, so I managed to fix it. I used $config['default_host'] = 'ssl://example.com'; and // TCP port used for IMAP connections $config['default_port'] = 993; No need for FQDN, just used same host as my mailservers certificate is pointing at. Could not get it to work with my offline testinviroment(where I got the error:Could not connect to ssl://example.com:993: Unknown reason) but now it is working live so I am happy :)