Author Topic: Turn off "tab to send"??  (Read 1646 times)

Offline phil168

Turn off "tab to send"??
« on: December 11, 2020, 07:14:28 AM »
If I am typing a message and accidentally press tab and then return, my message gets sent.

How do I stop this behaviour?

I would like my tab key to give me a tab (or a space) and I want there to be ***absolutely no way***  that my half written messages get sent by accident, as has just happened.

Offline phil168

Re: Turn off "tab to send"??
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 07:44:49 AM »

I see this behaviour may have been introduced in the 2006 post:

https://www.roundcubeforum.net/index.php/topic,934.msg4173.html#msg4173

by dmandell, where he/she ended up sending "a patch to the dev mailing list".

Thus my question becomes: How can I send "a patch to the dev mailing list" to add an option to remove this behaviour, or to add an option to confirm send every time, or to add an option to "unsend" a message during the 5-10 seconds after it gets sent?

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 09:18:25 AM »
This has come up before. See https://github.com/roundcube/roundcubemail/issues/6979

If you would like to contribute to Roundcube the best was is to submit a PR to the GitHub repo. From my experience though I'd caution that the devs are unlikely to be enthusiastic about the idea of adding another option without a very good use case. Certainly "unsending" a message is not a thing.

As Alec suggests in his reply on that issue the best approach may instead be to write a plugin. I guess you could use the `beforesend` Javascript event. Another option may be to add a event listener onto the message body area itself and modify the tab key behavior.
Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and more…

Offline phil168

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 03:04:02 AM »
OK, thanks. I'm not really in a position to write a plugin etc.

The "wontfix because this is how form controls in web browsers work" response of alecpl (on the page you refer to) is amazingly unhelpful.

Presumably it was not like this before the 2006 post of dmandell that I referred to.

For the time being I will type all my emails in a text editor and then paste them in to roundcube (or use gmail with the "undo send" option).

As I said it is completely unacceptable for any serious user to be accidentally sending half-written emails.

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 03:39:03 AM »
Forget about the 2006 forum post. A lot has changed since then version 0.1 of Roundcube was not released until 2008!

Pressing tab has always caused field focus to change, it is the expected behaviour. The post from 2006 was about changing the tab order to make keyboard navigation easier it did not intrudce any new behaviour.

Also I notice that the tab order is differnt in different skins. In Larry for example it moves to the attachment panel before the send button so may be try that and see if you like it better. You could also tackle it from the skin side, extend the skin you are using and replace the compose template with one which uses a different tab order.

Ultimately Roundcube is an open source project it relies on people giving up their time to contribute.  People naturally like to work on the more interesting and popular ideas. Plugins can be a good way to really gauge the usefulness of new ideas, we've seen popular plugins being merged into the core.

No one is saying what you want cannot be done its only that the experience so far is there is no big demand for the sort of change you are talking about while there is more feedback about easy keyboard navigation. So there is no apparent need for a change in the core.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 03:51:15 AM by JohnDoh »
Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and more…

Offline phil168

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 04:34:31 AM »
Thanks very much: I have switched to the Larry skin, which, as you say, won't tab straight to the send button!