Author Topic: STARTTLS vs cleartext  (Read 1187 times)

Offline dwasifark

STARTTLS vs cleartext
« on: September 02, 2021, 11:58:11 PM »
On my server, Postfix is configured to permit relay only for localhost or sasl authenticated connections.  Because Roundcube is on the same host, I'd always used cleartext for outbound relay:

Code: [Select]
$config['smtp_server'] = 'localhost'
$config['smtp_port'] = 25
$config['smtp_user'] = '';
$config['smtp_pass'] = '';

I did a clean reinstall to move to 1.5.  After completing the installation setup screens, the configuration was defaulting to STARTTLS on port 587 and failing because my server's authentication requirements are different.  The smtp_user and smtp_pass config options contained %u and %p respectively, and the smtp_port config option was missing entirely.

Fixing it simply required setting the config options as shown in the code block above, but it raised some questions for me:

1) Is there a reason I should be using relay authentication even though Roundcube and Postfix are on the same host?
2) Is cleartext going to be deprecated?  It feels like that might be the reason $config['smtp_port'] did not appear in the install-generated config file.

There's probably nothing stopping me from setting up relay authentication, it's just never seemed necessary.  Am I wrong?