Author Topic: Automatic Contact Populating v 1.5.2  (Read 2274 times)

Offline Steeley

Automatic Contact Populating v 1.5.2
« on: August 02, 2022, 12:38:06 AM »
Basic Question - Basic configuration - Does Roundcube have a way to populate ANY address book in this version besides manually?

I see 3 contact groups: Personal Addresses, Collected Recipients, and Trusted Senders, the last two appear to be uneditable placeholders for functionality that doesn't exist, or isn't enabled. It appears I can create new contacts in each one manually (I haven't bothered to try pending gaining more knowledge).

Is there some configuration setting I haven't found, or, do I need to install the automatic addressbook on packlist to gain address book populating functionality from sent/received emails?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 12:43:01 AM by Steeley »
All non-academic knowledge comes in suppository form

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
Re: Automatic Contact Populating v 1.5.2
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 03:00:23 AM »
From the settings screen look at Preferences > Contacts

Store outgoing email recipients in - Addresses you send emails to will be added to this address book
Store trusted senders in - this is connected to the "Allow remote resources (images, styles)" setting in Displaying Messages. When you view a message with blocked remote resources and you have the option to always allow from sender the sender is added to this address book

You can read a little more explanation here https://kolabian.wordpress.com/2020/09/26/collected-recipients-and-trusted-senders/
Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and more…

Offline Steeley

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 04:31:31 AM »
Well, I must be doing something (or have something set) wrong, because those are my settings, and messages sent to valid addresses do not load those addresses in the "specified" contact group..

Emails go out, they are received, the contact groups remain ... empty..  it's a sad thing... :-\

And just now I received a message with a banner "To protect your privacy remote resources have been blocked.  |Allow|  | Allow Always from ------ |

If I click | Allow Always from ------ |, I get An Error Occurred - Could not save contact address 

Remote resources are allowed from trusted senders, but of course, there are none, so...

My host's server config is Apache 2.4.54 w/MySQL 5.6.51 on a linux box, PHP (reporting) 5.6.40 (I was running 7.2 on my domain) with cPanel 104.0 (build 7). 
(Since PHP versions 5.x  through 7.3 are depreciated, I just loaded 7.4, but methinks that should not affect this issue should it?)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 06:00:30 AM by Steeley »

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 11:57:47 AM »
Are there any more details in the roundcube error log?
Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and more…

Offline Steeley

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2022, 05:15:59 PM »
I'm waiting on my server host to check, I don't have visibility "up there".

Offline Steeley

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2022, 05:55:05 AM »
Are there any more details in the roundcube error log?

This is an installation on a hosted server with cPanel, and as it turns out neither I nor my host can find logs for the RoundCube installation.
The issue is that the Collected Recipients and Trusted Senders Folders don't apparently actually exist. If I set the outgoing email recipients and trusted senders to "Personal Addresses" then the functions work.

If I select Trusted Senders or Collected Recipients Group, and then add a contact manually, it goes in the Personal Addresses group.
If I create new groups, those groups are not optioned to send anything to. I can drag copies of contacts from Personal Addresses to them, but if a contact now copied into the new group is deleted from the original Personal Addresses folder the copy in the created group disappears also. And vice versa - delete from the new group, and it's deleted from the personal addresses folder as well.

I can work with this arrangement as clumsy as it is, I just mention it in case the oddball behavior might offer a clue as to cause and possible correction path. It doesn't matter which skin (elastic or Larry, provided with the installation) is being used.

My speculation is either RC isn't happy with the PHP version, and/or the database.  I can run a network diagnostic (Edge - F12) and capture the script execution and calls, but I've got no idea what I'm looking for, so unless I can buy a clue, I'll just leave this alone as a "crippled installation" and press on.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 06:14:09 AM by Steeley »