Author Topic: Speed Issues on Dreamhost  (Read 8944 times)

Offline wwarby

Speed Issues on Dreamhost
« on: August 07, 2006, 06:27:20 PM »
Hi,

I've installed Roundcube on my web hosting package with Dreamhost to replace the SquirrelMail (ugliest email client going) installation which comes preloaded. I love everything about Roundcube except it's performance.

My inbox contains a modest 500 messages, and yet it takes a good 20 second every time I click on the Inbox to load the page. Just logging in takes at least 30 seconds, sometimes up to a minute, and clicking on a single message ro read frequently takes 10 seconds. I've just installed beta2 and it seems to be as sluggish as beta1 (the first version I installed). The performance does not seem to improve even when I set the number of messages per page to 5.

I have seen many threads about about speed issues with RC relating to caching and database connection speed. With this not being my own server and me not knowing very much about IMAP, I don't know whether caching is enabled or not, but I can say that SquirrelMail when installed on the same server does not have similar performance issues.

Would be very grateful for any advice because at this speed I don't think I can persevere much longer.

-William

Offline MarcB

Re: Speed Issues on Dreamhost
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 10:06:54 PM »
William,

There are a few things you can do to make sure you're making the most of Roundcube on Dreamhost.  Double-check in main.inc.php that
Code: [Select]
$rcmail_config['enable_caching'] = TRUE; and
Code: [Select]
$rcmail_config['skip_deleted'] = FALSE;.  Also, read the Dreamhost Wiki here: http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/RoundCube.  This should give you a few starting points.  Also, DH has been having a bunch of problems lately, as I'm sure you know; see http://status.dreamhost.com for details.  There could still be some lingering issues.  Finally, you're probably on the "Crazy Domain Insane" plan, right?  The performance of these plans is adequate, but certainly not optimized for the requirements of something like Roundcube.  Remember, as fantastic as it is, it's still beta!

Offline reinmund

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 11:28:04 PM »
I have both RC and Squirrelmail (SM) installed on my Dreamhost account.

I noticed that even SM gets really slow when dealing with many emails in the Inbox. In fact, my Dad just complaint about it today. After trimming down his Inbox from 550 mails to around 50, both RC and SM show much better login performance.

In my opinion, the Dreamhost IMAP server is not the fastest, it slows down ANYTHING that connects via IMAP protocoll.

Yes, RC (Beta2) is a tidbit slower than SM, but the nicer GUI is definitely worth it.

Offline wwarby

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 02:44:06 AM »
Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I checked my config file, and caching is enabled. I know a tidy inbox probably is the way to go and I used to delete messages after I read them (back in my hotmail days) but not having to worry about how many emails I have in my inbox was one of the reasons I moved to an account with Dreamhost.

Well, I've set my email account to archive messages when I have more than 50 in my inbox, so I'll see how it handles that. I rarely need to look at old messages anyway so hopefully this will work nicely. As you guessed, I am on the cheapest hosting plan going with Dreamhost - but I'm sure the default SquirrelMail wasn't as slow as Roundcube, and certainly desktop clients like Thunderbird aren't (but I guess they're caching much more heavily). I know DH have also been having a lot of problems lately so perhaps that's partially to blame.

-William

Offline reinmund

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 09:39:48 AM »
DH's performance as of lately is a shame.

I've been with them for years, but the last months have been really rough. Hope they get it under control for good.