Author Topic: install roundcube headless as mailclient  (Read 1212 times)

Offline damn

install roundcube headless as mailclient
« on: April 18, 2023, 02:07:13 PM »
hi guys,

this is my first post, I searched the forums but can't find an answer to my question...

like the subject of this post suggests I want to use roundcube as a mailclient in my homenet, to avoid installing mailclients on every machine I own.

But I have some questions according to this...

I have managed to install roundcube in a proxmox container, apache2 is running, I can reach the webmail interface login page.

I thought I can use it like thunderbird or similar, and add my external accounts and get my mails in one webmail app.
But unfortunately I'm not even able to login to the webinterface to add any of my external imap adresses. How do I login to roundcube to configure it?
Seems like the webinterface is for logging in into accounts that were previously added, but I don't get it how to accomplish this.

Or do I have to configure it in files? Or maybe it is not capable of what I'm expecting it to do, and it can't act like thunderbird or other mail clients?

Please help me understand what I'm doing wrong and if I can use roundcube for this purpose at all...

thanks, any help appreciated!

Dan
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 02:38:00 PM by damn »

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
Re: install roundcube headless as mailclient
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2023, 03:32:56 PM »
From your description I'd say Roundcube cannot do what you want. A desktop client like Thunderbird can be configured to connect to multiple IMAP servers with all the connection details stored locally. A web based client like Roudcube are typically part of an email providers’ offering to give user access. Roundcube can be configured to allow users to enter the IMAP server address on the login screen but typically this is defined by the system administrator in the config file. Out of the box Roundcube can only login to one IMAP account at a time.

You cannot login to Roundcube to config it. The only configuration is in the config.inc.php file. Any login is authenticated by the configured IMAP server.
Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and more…

Offline damn

Re: install roundcube headless as mailclient
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2023, 03:54:38 PM »
hi,

thanks for clarification! Can you think of a headless mailclient which would do what I'm expecting, e.g. something like thunderbird, but headless linux install with webinterface??

I hate seting up clients on every machine I use... it would be perfect if there are some solutions out there, I hope I'm not out of luck with this idea  :-\