Author Topic: How to manage the allowed/blocked senders list, for blocking remote resources  (Read 2227 times)

Offline omaticmail

Today, when I opened an email message, I accidentally clicked "always allow" when asked if remote resources (like embedded images) were to be loaded.  For this particular sender, I would prefer to undo that action, so emails from that sender do NOT automatically display embedded images. 

I have looked high and low online, in the RoundCube settings (I'm using the "Larry" interface, BTW), and on this forum, and I can't see how the list of senders with blocked/allowed remote resources are managed.  Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Incidentally, I'm just an end user, and don't have access to server configuration for this particular RoundCube installation.  Also, I do need the user to remain in my Contacts list.

Thank you in advance!!

Offline Dmitry42

Settings - Preferences - Displaying Messages - Allow remote resources (images, styles)

Offline omaticmail

Thank you for the reply.  Yeah, I found that, but it doesn't break it down by senders that have been previously approved.  Is that as granular as it gets? 

Despite being asked if I wanted to allow remote resources for this particular sender, I swear they were already in my contacts. Based on the setting you cited, that wouldn't seem to be possible.  Of course, I could be wrong, and the sender wasn't previously in my contacts... but unfortunately, it's too late to check that now.

Offline Dmitry42

I think you can clean Trusted Senders in Contacts section. May be its help you ?

Offline omaticmail

Hmmm, I looked around in there again, and I don't see anything like that.

Offline Dmitry42

here ?

Offline omaticmail

I use the "Larry" interface, but I switched to "Elastic" (which is what your pic looks like) to make sure I wasn't overlooking any "trusted senders" group.  But it didn't make a difference, either way, I don't have a group by that name, just my personal addresses group.

So looking in there, I do see have system-created contacts that were added when I previously allowed remote resources to load.  Now that I'd like to revoke some of those allowances, that's an issue.  I can't just delete them from the contacts groups, because they have to remain as trusted senders so their messages don't get rejected outright.   The two properties (whitelisting a sender by having it as a contact, and permission to load remote resources) don't seem to be separate properties of a contact.

Offline Dmitry42

May be your contact list groups visible depend from:

// ----------------------------------
// ADDRESSBOOK SETTINGS
// ----------------------------------

// This indicates which type of address book to use. Possible choices:
// 'sql' - built-in sql addressbook enabled (default),
// ''    - built-in sql addressbook disabled.
//         Still LDAP or plugin-added addressbooks will be available.
//         BC Note: The value can actually be anything except 'sql', it does not matter.
$config['address_book_type'] = 'sql';

// The addressbook source to store automatically collected recipients in.
// Default: true (the built-in "Collected recipients" addressbook, source id = '1')
// Note: It can be set to any writeable addressbook, e.g. 'sql'
$config['collected_recipients'] = true;

// The addressbook source to store trusted senders in.
// Default: true (the built-in "Trusted senders" addressbook, source id = '2')
// Note: It can be set to any writeable addressbook, e.g. 'sql'
$config['collected_senders'] = true;

Main point is: Roundcube not reject mail by himself (its do another soft like spam filters, antivirus, and etc) so if you delete this addresses from your contact list - you just make it not trusted for "allowed remote resources" and you can still receive mail from they anyway.

I think you can test this thing on one nail address.

Offline omaticmail

I appreciate that information.  Unfortunately, I don't have access to the configuration, so I can't review or change the settings.  But I'll bear in mind what you said (that RoundCube itself doesn't reject message), and test it on an appropriate sender at some point.