Author Topic: Need to download and backup all emails  (Read 2713 times)

Offline j-dub

Need to download and backup all emails
« on: May 30, 2023, 06:10:27 PM »
I need to download all of our emails, per folder, and back them up. I see how to export the contacts, but can't seem to find any way for downloading/exporting the folders and emails in each folder.

Can anyone tell me how to go about this, please?

Thank you!

Jason

Offline Dmitry42

Re: Need to download and backup all emails
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 11:48:59 PM »
May be something like MS Outlook and export to .pst file ?

Offline j-dub

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2023, 12:46:54 PM »
Thank you for your reply!

First, I'm fairly ignorant, technically. So, I'm not exactly sure what you mean. But, here's some background on it:

I have a small business. We have our own website and have used Roundcube as the webmail client from our Wordpress site, for several years.

We switched/migrated to Zoho Mail, a few months ago (switched the DNS, etc.) and they, Zoho, completely messed up everything. They didn't migrate all of our emails, they messed up the date/order of them, didn't migrate our contacts at all, etc.

What I'm trying to do is to export everything from my Roundcube into MS Outlook. Since the DNS is now pointing to Zoho, I have been told I need backup/export everything from Roundcube and MS Outlook will import it.

So, thoughts on how to do that?

Online SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 05:25:51 PM »
I'd recommend asking your previous provider for IMAP account details so you can connect Outlook to the old server and copy down the emails.

Roundcube is just a web mail client that connects to a mail server so it doesn't support features like creating a backup of all the email out of the box. Roundcube does has a zipdownload plugin that allows you to download multiple emails but its not made for a full inbox backup and you would have to be able to access the Roundcube configuration files to enable it.

Offline Dmitry42

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 09:09:45 PM »
Since the DNS is now pointing to Zoho

You can setup Outlook to old mail server by old IP address.
Just replace in outlook account your domain name (that now pointing to Zoho)  to old IP address (your old server).

Like (example): change IMAP and SMTP servers in outlook accounts from "mybusiness.com" (your domain name with Zoho ip) to "10.200.124.5" (your old IP)

Offline Dmitry42

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2023, 09:16:03 PM »
I remember one better way.

You can setup in Outlook two accounts - new by domain name, and old by old IP address. So you can see both mailboxes and can move mail directly from old mailbox to new. And backup it to .pst file.

Offline j-dub

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2023, 10:30:48 PM »
I'd recommend asking your previous provider for IMAP account details so you can connect Outlook to the old server and copy down the emails.

Roundcube is just a web mail client that connects to a mail server so it doesn't support features like creating a backup of all the email out of the box. Roundcube does has a zipdownload plugin that allows you to download multiple emails but its not made for a full inbox backup and you would have to be able to access the Roundcube configuration files to enable it.

Skaero, thank you for your reply, but I'm unclear on "asking your previous provider for IMAP account details." I'm confused by who my previous provider would be. We used Roundcube through our Wordpress website, then switched the Zoho, and are here now. So, who would I contact for the IMAP account details from before switching? Our website is hosted by KnownHost. Is that who I should contact?

Sorry if I'm dense, I'm just not extremely savvy with email client programs, or most tech for that matter. Haha.

Please advise. Thank you!

J

Online SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2023, 12:25:48 AM »
Skaero, thank you for your reply, but I'm unclear on "asking your previous provider for IMAP account details." I'm confused by who my previous provider would be. We used Roundcube through our Wordpress website, then switched the Zoho, and are here now. So, who would I contact for the IMAP account details from before switching? Our website is hosted by KnownHost. Is that who I should contact?

Sorry if I'm dense, I'm just not extremely savvy with email client programs, or most tech for that matter. Haha.

J
In that case you should contact Knownhost since they where the ones who are hosting the old mail service. If you ask them the following they should be able able to give you the IMAP account details you need in order to be able to add the account to Outlook:
I'm trying to connect to my <email>@<domain> account with IMAP in Outlook so I can download a copy of the mail however the domain is no longer pointing to Knownhost. Can you please give me the IMAP connection details for the server so I can connect to the account?

Offline j-dub

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2023, 03:26:50 PM »

J
In that case you should contact Knownhost since they where the ones who are hosting the old mail service. If you ask them the following they should be able able to give you the IMAP account details you need in order to be able to add the account to Outlook:
I'm trying to connect to my <email>@<domain> account with IMAP in Outlook so I can download a copy of the mail however the domain is no longer pointing to Knownhost. Can you please give me the IMAP connection details for the server so I can connect to the account?

Thank you! I will reach out to KH and circle back with MS Outlook and hopefully that will take care of transferring all of our Roundcube emails and folders!

I will reach back here if it doesn't and see if you have any other thoughts or ideas. I REALLY appreciate the help!

Cheers!

j

Offline j-dub

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2023, 02:32:27 PM »

J

Thank you! I will reach out to KH and circle back with MS Outlook and hopefully that will take care of transferring all of our Roundcube emails and folders!

I will reach back here if it doesn't and see if you have any other thoughts or ideas. I REALLY appreciate the help!

Cheers!

j

Hi Skaero, or anyone else,

So, we tried migrating the old emails from Roundcube to Outlook with the IMAP server settings. It failed. Is there any way to just get the emails some direct way (exporting, downloading, etc.) from the server or Roundcube or however? Like exporting them as a .pst file?

I'm really hitting a ton of roadblocks here and feel like it just shouldn't be this hard to export email files so I can upload/import them to another system.

j

Online SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2023, 02:35:16 PM »
There isn't though Roundcube. Roundcube is just a webmail client and what you really need to dump directly from the mail server. Where you not able to connect to IMAP on the old server?

Offline j-dub

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2023, 03:13:08 PM »
There isn't though Roundcube. Roundcube is just a webmail client and what you really need to dump directly from the mail server. Where you not able to connect to IMAP on the old server?

We tried using Microsoft's migration. It failed. I tried all four email addresses, then I tried just one. Both attempts failed.

Online SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2023, 10:46:08 AM »
Can you connect the old accounts in Outlook using IMAP instead of using a migration tool?

Offline Dmitry42

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2023, 12:34:56 AM »
yourdomain.com -its just alias for mail server IP address

before: yordomain.com assignet to old mail server with IP#1
you change DNS server records and
Now: yourdomain.com assigned to new mail server with IP#2.

So than you setup your outlook with yourdomain.com in settings - it connect to new mail server.
So you need setup second account in outlook with IP#1 (old mail server address) in settings (NOT your domain.com)

So in this case you will have one outlook with 2 accounts - first your new mail server with your domain.com (new ip#2) and second - old mail server where imap and smtp setting is old IP#1.
just ask your old mail server provider about IP#1

So you will have one outlook with 2 accounts:

1. imap,smtp server settings  - your current domain
2. imap, smtp server settings  - old mail server IP#1

MAIN TASK - to know your old ip address