Author Topic: New competition - AtMail Open  (Read 9503 times)

Offline nickjamescolin

New competition - AtMail Open
« on: May 20, 2008, 12:01:43 AM »
Wow, looks like AtMail have released an Open-source Webmail edition.

http://atmail.org/ for details.

I for one welcome this, we need some improved competition in the Webmail sphere, the development of RC can be slow ( 2 years for a production copy, c'mon guys! )

I've installed both RC and AtMail Open on our servers and checking to see which version our users prefer.

Offline bpat1434

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 02:18:48 AM »
Okay, well I guess you might be interested to know that @Mail actually approached RC about being "purchased" and using RC as the base for their open source project.  Something the dev community said no to (for good reason).

@Mail may be more mature just because they have the corporate backend which pays their developers for the time spent.  Plus, their @Mail proprietary software is just an extension of the open source.  So they are paying devs to work on the open source, with the exception of some extensions.  So they have a huge leg-up there.

I still prefer RC, as I know that it started open source, and it won't just disappear or become a "nominal fee" later on.  I will take slow but steady development over rushed and money pushed development.

But it's my preference, and competition is good.  But I still like RC over @Mail.  And yes, I've used both ;)

As for the "2 years for a production release".... 6 developers total, in their free time.  A huge community asking for features, and the devs trying to get a basic code-base done.  If you look, @Mail didn't release a beta or anything.  They got a base code out (well, a modified proprietary base code).  RC wanted to get something out and get feedback.  So they had some betas.  I commend RC for releasing early to give everyone a chance to "craft" it to be something better.  I can't really say that @Mail will really listen to their community.

Anyway.... enough of my tirade...

Offline oldschool

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 06:40:01 AM »
Nice look, but don´t work @all!
It is version 1.00, so it should be battleproofed und working...

Ajax errors...
---
File does not exist: /xxx/htdocs/webmailx/imgs/xp/toolbar_divider_horizontal.gif, referer: http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/webmailx/parse.php?file=html/german/help/filexp.html&FirstLoad=1&HelpFile=ajaxhelp.html
---
File does not exist: /xxx/htdocs/webmailx/imgs/xp/layout_middle_divider.gif, referer: http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/webmailx/parse.php?file=html/german/help/filexp.html&FirstLoad=1&HelpFile=ajaxhelp.html
---

This little "*****" calls home:
---
to=, relay=staff.atmail.com[66.45.163.150]:25, delay=5, delays=1.1/1.2/1.3/1.4, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent
---

And this shouldn´t be!!!
My trustment is gone and this will be deleted.

Rgds.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 11:18:55 AM by bpat1434 »

Offline Chebe

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 08:16:56 PM »
I gave it a try yesterday ... it didn't say anywhere that there was no support for maildir ... I thought it was using imap ... well that's what was said on their forum, didn't really understand, but still there was no way to read the messages or to send anything !
As a result it's been removed.
All I need to be perfectly happy is a plugin to change password and one for vacation (I'm using exim+vexim(sql)+dovecot) :)
And A big thanks to the dev for this wonderfull webmail !!!

Offline Webalistic

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 08:47:15 AM »
Had a go with @mail and it didn't really do it for me.

The great thing about OS is also the problem. I work for a sofware developers. Basically we have a vision of what a piece of software can do, a list of features, a production plan, a marketing plan and a budget - and we can produce it and test it to spec.

With OS (like RC) you seem to have about a million feature requests from the community. The target is moving in a way that would be unacceptable in a commercial environment. How the poor developers cope is a mystery to me, and system and acceptance testing must be completely impossible. It's an incredible endorsement of their skills that they've managed to produce such a fine product despite of all this.

I really feel that RC would benefit from being simpler, but having a faultless implementation of the core requirements of email (like being able to send large attachments, or viewing received attachments correctly) without some of the shine (like launching a photon torpedo every time the bank manager sends me an email).

Anyway - for what it's worth that's my opinion. In the old days betas were to shake out bugs - not to generate a feature list.