Author Topic: Roundcube slow  (Read 22111 times)

Offline Growlizing

Roundcube slow
« on: May 24, 2008, 10:18:21 AM »
I've set up roundcube and gotten everything working (except attachments, but that isn't important). The more important issue is that Roundcube is acting slow. It takes about 7 sec to login, and 6 sec for each mail to open. I have only two email-accs with 3 emails on each account, and the imap-server that's being used is on the same machine. Reloading the inbox takes another 7 tormenting seconds, and starting a new to send also takes 6 seconds.

Any tips on things I can look in to to resolve this?

Edit: I use SSL, will that have anything to say speed-wise?

Offline joculari

Roundcube slow
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 10:37:27 AM »
Same with me.

on my server it doesnt take 7 sek but 2 to 3, but still it is very annoying (Thunderbird is much faster). I remember that during the installation process there were some things marked as "not ok" that were recommended but not absolutely necessary. Could it be that the slowliness comes from on of these?

joculari

Offline Growlizing

Roundcube slow
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 07:31:43 AM »
For me, the connection speed with Thunderbird is also fine.
What are you running?

I'm running roundcube on lighttpd (1.4.19) with PHP 5.2.6 and courier/courier-imap with ssl on gentoo.

Offline Lukas

Roundcube slow
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 03:59:12 AM »
The same for me with RC 0.1.1 on Mac OS X 10.4.11, PHP 5.2.6, Courier-IMAP and Apache 2.0.61.
SquirrelMail, Telaen, Uebimiau and another couple of IMAP client work pretty fast. The same for Thunderbird and Apple Mail.

I read of other users having speed issues. After two days tests I am quite sure this is a Roundcube problem.

Is it possible that the developer doesn't have this problem??? And is it possible he doesn't give precise answers to this? Roundcube is fantastic!!! but with this problem is quite unuseable!!!

Please... tell us something! How do the optional installation components affect RC speed?

Thanks

Lukas

Offline Lukas

Roundcube slow
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 05:22:51 AM »
UPDATE: I realized this... My Roundcube tries to connect to the IMAP server using CRAM-MD5 method first and gets a LOGIN FAILED message. Using Thunderbird or Apple Mail I have no problem.

Roundcube tries for some seconds to login this way, using CRAM-MD5, then switches to another method and logs in correctly.

Maybe this is the problem?

HOW CAN I TELL RC NOT TO USE CRAM-MD5 METHOD AT ALL TO LOGIN?

Thanx

Lukas

Offline Lukas

Roundcube slow
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 08:26:49 AM »
Okay! After some tests I found a workaround!

Please, be careful since I am not a programmer so I do not guarantee this is a good way to solve the problem in a production environment!

To solve the slowness problem (if you use Courier-IMAP as IMAP server, like me), make a backup copy of the file imap.inc (in (roundcube folder)/program/lib/).
Then, download Roundcube 0.1-rc1, open the file imap.inc  near line 196 and copy the function iil_C_Authenticate.
Finally open the imap.inc file of the actual version and paste this function in order to sobstitute the same function in it (near line 254).

Works absolutely fine for me! Hope this helps you, too.

Luk
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 08:28:53 AM by Lukas »

Offline Growlizing

Roundcube slow
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 06:00:39 AM »
Hmm, would be nice with some developer-attention to this, but I understood that they don't read here, as it isn't an official forum. Might make a bug-report though.

Offline francesco_r

Roundcube slow
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 10:08:18 AM »
The next stable release of RC will be very fast, i had the same problem with Courier but with this commit http://trac.roundcube.net/changeset/1431 a huge improvement was made.
See also this bug for more info: http://trac.roundcube.net/ticket/1485105.
So download the last SVN or wait the next stable release.

For Lukas: rc have a setting for your login problem. See the file config/main.inc.php to change the login type.

Offline Growlizing

Roundcube slow
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 12:12:58 PM »
Ok. I tried the svn version a couple of months ago, but I'll do it again now :)
Thanks for the tip.

Edit:
Read in the code, and looked at my imap-logs.
Then checked my courier config-files.
Turns out I had forgotten to remove some of the AUTH-types reported by capabilities.
They were not supported, but reported as supported. After I removed them, all is going smoothly :>
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 12:30:40 PM by Growlizing »

Offline zash

Roundcube slow
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 04:39:48 PM »
Quote from: Lukas;12435
Okay! After some tests I found a workaround!

To solve the slowness problem (if you use Courier-IMAP as IMAP server, like me), make a backup copy of the file imap.inc (in (roundcube folder)/program/lib/).
Then, download Roundcube 0.1-rc1, open the file imap.inc  near line 196 and copy the function iil_C_Authenticate.
Finally open the imap.inc file of the actual version and paste this function in order to sobstitute the same function in it (near line 254).

Works absolutely fine for me! Hope this helps you, too.

Luk

I use Courier-IMAP as well. After upgrading the the latest Alpha release I noticed how much slower it was.

The 'bug' is indeed in the function iil_C_Authenticate.

Replacing this line:
$reply = base64_encode('"' . $user . '" "' . $hash . '"');

with this line:
$reply = base64_encode($user." ".$hash);

will speed it up a great deal. It appears the additional quotation marks are not only not necessary for Courier-IMAP, but cause it to slow down considerably.

Offline rosali

Roundcube slow
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 01:20:47 AM »
I don't know when it was fixed, but the quotes are already removed in the current SVN release.
Regards,
Rosali

Offline jeffshead

Roundcube slow
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 09:21:35 PM »
Quote from: zash;13052
I use Courier-IMAP as well. After upgrading the the latest Alpha release I noticed how much slower it was.

The 'bug' is indeed in the function iil_C_Authenticate.

Replacing this line:
$reply = base64_encode('"' . $user . '" "' . $hash . '"');

with this line:
$reply = base64_encode($user." ".$hash);

will speed it up a great deal. It appears the additional quotation marks are not only not necessary for Courier-IMAP, but cause it to slow down considerably.

Holy smokes...what a difference this made! I've been searching and trying everything I find and finally found one that did the trick;)

Offline Wazooka

Roundcube slow
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 09:28:19 AM »
I noticed how slow it IS too. I applied this but it's still a few seconds waiting to load a message of 100 bytes? This is an engineering fault. Could you imagine a CMS working in this way? Please fix this devteam. And DO read your self-setup forum!

Offline Jim Unsworth

Slowest email in Town
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 10:52:29 AM »
The Roundcube email site take FOREVER to switch from inbox to outbox and to do anything at all. Why is it so slow. Not good for business. What is the problem.

Quote from: Wazooka;13662
I noticed how slow it IS too. I applied this but it's still a few seconds waiting to load a message of 100 bytes? This is an engineering fault. Could you imagine a CMS working in this way? Please fix this devteam. And DO read your self-setup forum!

Offline dialsc

Roundcube slow
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 06:01:47 AM »
hi,

i had the same problem. i'm running - on gentoo boxes - roundcube 0.5.2-r1. there are also apache 2.2.16 and php 5.3.6.

for me the problem was solved once i disabled the ipv6 USE variable by defining -ipv6 during compile time for php. after i remerged php with this use variable, roundcube's now as fast as one would expect it to be.

mybee this helps.

greez...