Author Topic: Inbox Messages Disappear When User Logs Back In to RC  (Read 9690 times)

Offline giganet

Inbox Messages Disappear When User Logs Back In to RC
« on: July 09, 2008, 08:46:33 PM »
Hello Group

Another issue I am having with RC at the time is that I have found that if you log onto RC and download messages then log off of RC and anytime later when you log back on the previously downloaded messages are gone!

I have found that it does not matter if you read the messages or not, they are gone after logging off to return later and see that messages are gone.

Thanks for your help

Regards

Offline giganet

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 12:02:11 PM »
Jeez, maybe I'm asking this questions in the wrong forum????

I have observed that roughly 65% of all questions in this specific forum go un-answered regardless of the question being asked.

Can anyone provide input how to resolve this issue of the Email disappearing?
I have searched the forum and found posts that suggest you access "Personal Settings' 'Preferences' then you can access the once missing Emails in the Inbox.

I tried this and am overwhelming un-impressed with the suggestion, I can just imaging instructing my clients how to use RC because it is broken so they can view their Emails by doing a bunch of mumbo jumbo navigation which ultimately will do nothing in most cases to make the Email accessible.

Can someone please provide some input so I can resolve this issue?

Thanking you in advance for your help with this matter.

Offline jpkelly

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 09:24:23 PM »
I have had users tell me several times that messages in their inbox have vanished. The only way they access their mail is through RoundCube.
Anybody else?
Anyone out there?

Offline Nica

Important Data Lost
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 02:03:25 PM »
I am having the smae problem with emails disappearing from the inbo xafter a short period of time (usuall 2 days)

My host/server says it is the email client or RoundCube and the posts I have found here say it is the server.:o

Emails are documented records of transactions or commitments that are admissible in court. I am really losing important material!

HELP

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 09:09:40 PM »
Roundcube is a web-based IMAP email client. IMAP clients do not "download" messages. They allow you to view them in place on the mail server. Because RC doesn't download, there is no way for it to "lose" your messages. If they are gone, some mail process has moved/deleted/downloaded them.

First thing I would check is that the checkbox in the Server settings for "Clear trash on logout" is not checked. But that's not likely to be the issue.

My next question would be to ask if you use any other mail client other than Roundcube to view your mail. In my years as a mail admin, this is by far the most common cause of "missing" messages. If you switch back and forth between Roundcube and Outlook, Thunderbird, Apple Mail, smart phone, etc., the other client may be set to actually download the messages to the client. If that is true, the messages may be visible in the other client, but not in Roundcube (since they have been downloaded and no longer exist on the mail server).
Arne Berglund
SysAdmin, Internet Services
Lane Education Service District
Eugene, OR, USA