Author Topic: Problem on sort by Date if there is no Date field in header  (Read 5072 times)

Offline dblow

Roundcube version 0.53, IMAP server is Courier-IMAP 3.x. For the emails that has no Date field in header, they will be listed as oldest email in the list.

Offline rosali

Problem on sort by Date if there is no Date field in header
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 12:44:56 AM »
Yes, but where is the problem?
Regards,
Rosali

Offline dblow

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 08:30:36 AM »
The problem is emails are out of order in display. Say a new email without date field comes in, it stays at the bottom of the list, while all other new emails at the top. When there are hundreds of emails in your inbox, and you are expecting new emails show up on top in the first page, you won't see it.

Offline corbosman

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 08:36:06 AM »
I personally think sorting on Date header is insane. I never got why webmail clients insist on doing this. The date header is easily manipulated. Better would be to use the received date, if you're sure your mail server keeps that date correctly. Some imap servers are actually much faster that way as well.

Offline dblow

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 09:38:56 AM »
I agree with you, but my IMAP server is courier-imap, and it doesn't support sort=display. Therefore I have to count on the webmail client to sort out the emails. It is weird that you see the date is displayed in roundcube, but the list is not ordered. Is there a way to let roundcube do the job, or I have to move to other IMAP software?