Author Topic: beta 2 much slower than beta 1?  (Read 6797 times)

Offline joshb

beta 2 much slower than beta 1?
« on: August 10, 2006, 09:52:23 AM »
I've been using the beta 1 release of RC since it's release. I just updated yesterday to beta 2, and noticed a HUGE slowdown in performance. Is this common? Or is it that I possibly mis-configured something in the new setup?

Thanks,

Josh

Offline KeblerelfKC

Re: beta 2 much slower than beta 1?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 02:35:55 PM »
I didn't notice any slowdown after upgrading myself. However, I only have about 60 items in my mailbox so even if something changed I'm not sure I'd notice it with that few items.

Offline joshb

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 05:03:55 PM »
Good to know that other people aren't all noticing a similar slowdown - that means that I can probably get it working at normal speed for my install. :)

My RC install is on the same server as my IMAP server, so it's not an issue there... Well, I'll try it again, and start from a fresh database this time. I'll post my observations.

Offline jrmy

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 06:05:55 PM »
Just curios but is it the interface that is slow or is it checking/sending mail/opening folders that is slow?

Offline hazlett

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 07:13:52 PM »
I thought my original beta 1 installation was too slow and went back to using iloha until another beta came along and now I am happy that this latest version meets.....or exceeds....my expectations....

Wonderful...........

Offline joshb

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 10:31:27 PM »
Quote from: jrmy
Just curios but is it the interface that is slow or is it checking/sending mail/opening folders that is slow?

It was checking/sending mail/opening folders that was slow. I haven't tried again yet.

Offline goettler

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 03:06:17 AM »
 :D I might have found a solution:

I am new here, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.
I just installed Beta 2 and had similar performance issues.....loading of the inbox and other folders was extremely slow, even with only few messages. The setup, in my case, can not be the issue, since IMAP, mySQL and RC are on the same server, so queries should be rather quick.

The problem, I think, was with the rendering of PNG files (and the additional scripting, that is in place to make transparencies work in IE 5/6). I replaced the key icons
- dot.png
- attachment.png
- unread.png
with GIFs and it now works much, much faster. The lists loads almost instantaneously.

It's a bit of an ugly hack: in order to avoid needing to do too much coding, I saved the GIFs with a .png extension....not pretty, but IE renders it correclty, and I think most browsers should do so, too.

I attache the three icons for anyone who would also like to try this....let me know whether it also works for you.
(P.S: Please note that the icons are slightly modified from the originals to adjust for lower color depth etc.)

Offline Delta-9

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 12:32:48 PM »
I notice a significant difference between my PC and my Powerbook. But I blame my powerbook for that, since it is only a single 867Mhz processor with 600MB of ram whilst my PC is a dual processor 2.something GHz with 2GB of ram.

I do believe roundcube to be a little bit more of a memory and processor hog than something like squirrelmail, but for the pretty graphics and functions, you need a little more horsepower.

Offline xoqez

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 05:40:38 AM »
I must say I have not seen much of a difference in speed.
--
Venond; using roundcube since June 2006
www.venond.com