Author Topic: Nothing happens - fresh install  (Read 10378 times)

Offline UPN1541

Nothing happens - fresh install
« on: August 11, 2006, 06:09:43 AM »
Hello,

Background: I have two hosting accounts at one company, one for my job the other personal. I installed beta 1 for work and it is working perfectly. I also wanted to have RC for my personal domain so downloaded and installed beta 2, configured it properly... everything is the same as the other install (remember they are on two different domains)... but nothing happens:

When I go to the RC page, it displays fine, however when I enter in my email address and password, my browser just sits there attempting to load the page. My browser doesn't report any errors. [Mac OS X 10.4.7 Build 8J2135 - latest updates - Safari 2.0.4 (419.3)]

I logged into my mySQL DB using phpMyAdmin, and all the tables are there, but only the sessions table has a record: created date time 0000-00-00 00:00:00 --- and --- changed datetime 0000-00-00 00:00:00

There are no log files in the logs folder.

I've deleted all the files, re-uploaded, deleted the DB, tried with 3 different database names and passwords, verfied the file permissions etc. Again, everything is configured correctly, was uploaded correctly, files have proper permissions, etc.

Info: Linux server running mySQL v. 4.1.11 // Configured to use PHP mail() not SMTP per my host's recommendations.

Any help would be appreciated. Any further info needed just ask. Thanks in advance.

Offline UPN1541

Re: Nothing happens - fresh install
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 08:14:10 AM »
Follow up: Still stuck...

I deleted everything again, and installed beta 1, which works. When I follow the instructions to update from beta 1 to beta 2, I no longer can sign in. Same issue as above, just shows that it's loading but the progress bar never moves and never logs in.

So there must be something that changed from beta 1 that is causing me grief. Could it be something in the index.php file?

Offline jrmy

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 10:46:08 AM »
Hmmm.

Have you checked the log file? Also just to make sure, you ran the sql file for MySQL 4.x and not the one for 5.x correct?

Offline UPN1541

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 12:27:12 PM »
Quote from: jrmy
Hmmm.

Have you checked the log file? Also just to make sure, you ran the sql file for MySQL 4.x and not the one for 5.x correct?

jrmy: Thanks for the reply.

No log files are generated. Yeah I thought maybe I ran the wrong sql file but I made sure after the first attempt to choose the 4.x file.

Any other ideas / suggestions? Beta 1 works, but if I fresh install OR upgrade it no longer works... just sits there.

Offline jrmy

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 12:49:48 PM »
Is your log directory writable by apache/your webserver user?

Offline UPN1541

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 04:39:11 PM »
Is your log directory writable by apache/your webserver user?

Yes. a beta 1 install could successfully write to the log dir. I've quadruple checked permissions.

Offline jrmy

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 04:45:42 PM »
Gotcha. So something is simply hanging while trying to contact the imap server to verify your credentials. How are you connecting to the imap server?

Offline UPN1541

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 05:13:37 PM »
Gotcha. So something is simply hanging while trying to contact the imap server to verify your credentials. How are you connecting to the imap server?

Thanks for the reply! You pointed me in the right direction, I've been thinking that it was maybe a missing file or something... but now I'm confused.

I configured the main.inc.php file like I did for beta 1:

Code: [Select]
$rcmail_config['default_host'] = 'mail.domain-name.extension';
and

$rcmail_config['default_port'] = 993;
Thats how I can get beta 1 to work. However I had to change 993 to 143 for beta 2 to log in.

I tried this:

$rcmail_config['default_host'] = 'ssl://mail.domain-name.extension:993';
But that produces an error message:

[11-Aug-2006 13:53:30 -0700] IMAP Error: Could not connect to ssl://domain-name.extension at port 993: Operation now in progress in on line 0

I've been emailing my host, so maybe they can shed some light on the topic.

So, just to recap, I'm now able to use a fresh install of beta 2, but have to use port 143.

If you or anyone has ideas or suggestions on how to get it to work on port 993, I would appreciate it!

Offline jrmy

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 05:57:26 PM »
Great to hear you go it working! :)

You might want to try connecting using thunderbird or some other client. They usually give a pretty good error message. I wonder if in beta1 of roundcube you thought you were connecting to 993 but in reality it internally ignored that port and used 143....

Offline area51

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 07:03:22 PM »
ok i know im a newbie but het i can read php lol well anyway i did the correct editions to the php files in the config dir but what do you mean by running the sql file. cause right now i dont even get a login page or any errors and just to let you know its installed to a subdomain called rcmail

Offline jrmy

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 07:11:11 PM »
Roundcube requires a database backend before it will work. The SQL file contains the needed information to setup all the tables in the database.

Are you using a hosting account somewhere to do this?

Offline area51

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 07:28:13 PM »
i have my own server now i get output to the browser i gave the database user admin rights to the table but now i get service unavailable with this

Error No. 1f4)

Offline jrmy

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 07:29:18 PM »

Offline area51

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 07:34:31 PM »
ok i did and im not a technical person i have the following info in the db.inc.php file

$rcmail_config['db_dsnw'] = 'mysql://rcmail:area51@area51web.net/roundcube';

Offline area51

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 07:54:49 PM »
ok now im back to a blank any more ideas i looked at the other link you gave me and i changed my string to the following since it is in a sub domain

$rcmail_config['db_dsnw'] = 'mysql://roundcube:password@rcmail.area51web.net/roundcube';

but now all i get is a white page nothing uo it not even service not available comes up

please help