Author Topic: RoundCube with TinyMCE editor  (Read 20606 times)

Offline EricS

RoundCube with TinyMCE editor
« on: August 11, 2006, 11:58:18 AM »
I have been working on integrating Moxiecode's TinyMCE editor (version 2.0.6.1) into RoundCube, for composing HTML e-mail messages. The changes are extensive enough that it would be difficult to release as a simple patch, so I've packaged up an entire distribution (based on the recently releasd "Beta 2" version) that includes my changes as well as the TinyMCE distribution:

http://stadtherr.bounceme.net/files/roundcubemail_tinymce_v0.1beta2.tar.gz

The changes include:
  • TinyMCE editor replaces the normal textfield when composing a message if the "Prefer HTML" configuration variable is "true."
  • User can toggle between HTML and Plain text editors while composing a message.
    • When going from plain text to HTML, the existing contents are surrounded with "
      " tags
    • When going from HTML to plain text, the existing contents are run through the html2text converter
  • If the HTML editor is used, the MIME message is built with a top-level "text/html" content type. Otherwise, the normal "text/plain" content type is included.
  • The "emoticon" or "smiley" pictures that TinyMCE provides are added as inline parts to the MIME message (this is fluff, but hey, I like the emoticons!)
  • Reply e-mails have blockquote tags around the original message.
  • Forward e-mails have a nicely formatted header prepended

Enjoy!
-Eric

Offline simplistsims

Re: RoundCube with TinyMCE editor
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 07:50:48 AM »
cheers for this! this is a major addon which will hopefully get the support of everyone. Me thinks this should be added as a perminant feature to the next roundcube release! :P
Duca Duca Duca Duca - Dr. Evil *Say it fast*

Offline simplistsims

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 08:19:38 AM »
I've noticed one thing, In firefox the smilies box and colors are not aligned right. and the spell checker says its all correct even though i put errors in their!
Duca Duca Duca Duca - Dr. Evil *Say it fast*

Offline markg85

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 11:04:31 PM »
wonderfull :D i didn`t try it out yet buf looking from your previous releases of tinymce it`s just wonderfull :)

Offline rawe

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 05:49:55 AM »
Hi Eric

Thank you very much for your great work!
I agree with some of the other guys that this 'patch' should be included in the next official release of Roundcube.
Normal users expect HTML-editing capabilities in a modern webmail application and this is one of the last features that Roundcube misses compared to other webmail solutions (like Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo etc.).

Are you discussing the inclusion of your 'patch' with the primary developers of Roundcube? If not, why?

And just a couple of minor errors I've noticed with your latest release:

• The spellchecking isn't working with the TinyMCE editor. I can see from the TinyMCE projects website (please see http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=4212) that there is some spell checking capabilities included in the TineMCE project as such. Would it be a possibility to port that to your implementation of the editor in Roundcube?
  • The users signature isn't inserted into the message

Nothing too serious, but still...
Hope you have the time and ressources to take a look at these minor errors (as I suck at PHP and therefore cannot correct the errors myself).

And a feature request:
Several of my users are asking for the possibility to make HTML signatures. Would it be a problem to turn the signature editing into a TinyMCE editor as well?

Once again: thank you for your work. It is a major (and needed) upgrade of Roundcube!

Best

Rasmus Wehner
   Denmark

Offline EricS

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 05:34:27 PM »
Rasmus and others,

Thanks for the feedback! Some comments:

• I deliberately haven't done much with spell checking, since there's a lot of discussion going on in the developer community as far as what the spell-checking approach should be within RoundCube (Google Spell? A standalone server that could call GoogleSpell or others? ASpell?). Once that's decided, I'll evaluate how it relates to TinyMCE.
  • The signature thing is a good comment - I don't use a signature so I hadn't noticed that deficiency. I'll include HTML signatures in the next version that I make available.

I'm currently talking with the primary developers to work out a plan for branching and/or integrating this work. Stay tuned!
-Eric

Offline jodo

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 08:23:57 AM »
Thx for your effort, this is a great modification. I really think it should become part of the actual program...

Offline st0kes

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 04:16:02 PM »
This is awesome. Thanks for posting!

Offline Pete

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 08:56:19 AM »
Just to add my support for HTML signatures - this is one of the few things preventing the app from being used more widely for business use.

It's a teriffic tool and with this wysiwig editor integration and the possibility of signatures in a future release it will definitely be an option that will be considered by many more users.

Offline LukaszP

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 12:07:13 PM »
You do good job!

I think it should be in RoundCube on next release.

Problem whit spell I think it should be resolved by aspell because most webhosting provider install it on server and it's multilang.

Reload

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006, 01:46:56 PM »
Can somebody plz post some screenshot's to see it ???

Offline Chadi

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 03:39:29 PM »
Great module Eric thank you very much.

Just curious if you have an update on the signature add-on.

Thanks again.
Talk Jesus [ Awesome Facts ]

Offline EricS

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 03:57:39 PM »
I have the HTML editing and saving of the signature working. All I have left to do is change the JavaScript client code to be able to insert the HTML signature into the message being edited (initially and if you change identities). The code is easy enough, I just need to work out some timing issues relative to the loading of the page and the initialization of the TinyMCE editor.

Stay tuned for updates...
-Eric

Offline ajciancio

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 09:05:09 AM »
Thank you EricS,

I need put a image in email, the image i send like a attach file, but i dont know how i can place at email body.
are there any way to do this?

Thank you,

PD:
Sorry but my english, i need study a little more :D

Offline Lindhardsen

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 07:55:32 AM »
Quote from: EricS
Stay tuned for updates...
-Eric

Eric, really nice initiative you have made here.

I like many others are eagerly waiting for the update ;)