Author Topic: CAPTCHA for mail sending  (Read 3633 times)

Offline lizard

CAPTCHA for mail sending
« on: October 29, 2008, 11:29:49 AM »
Hello all! Is anybody do something? For me it seems a good solution for spam protection in case of cracked mailbox. Any thougts are welcome!

Offline rounders

CAPTCHA for mail sending
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 07:09:43 PM »
It's an excellent solution for possible outgoing SPAM. It imposes a cost on the spammers, which, for them, translates into money lost, since they must inevitably pay a human to solve the puzzle.

I too was wondering if there was a simple way to incorporate, say, reCaptcha into RC, but there appear to be no threads about this here. Obviously, nobody cares, or nobody is using RC for serious ESP applications, as I plan to do.

Any takers? Suggestions? Tips?

Offline rosali

CAPTCHA for mail sending
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 03:16:48 AM »
I could try to code a plugin for MyRoundCube (MyRoundCube - RoundCube Webmail Forum). But I'm not really convinced of the idea. It makes only sense if you block SMTP Port (25) for the outer world, so that is only possible to send messages by RoundCube Webmail and not by connecting directly to the SMTP service.
Regards,
Rosali

Offline rounders

CAPTCHA for mail sending
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 09:08:21 PM »
Yes, that's quite true: totally useless in the case of IMAP/SMTP Auth access. In fact, now I come to think of it, the best way to stop outgoing SPAM from the webmail side is simply to increase the time delay between sending emails in the config (I just upped mine to 1 minute). This measure at least slows the spammer down, maybe even making it uneconomical to send spam from my server. OTOH, I'm not sure whether this time-delay would also apply to multiple Cc'd or Bcc'd addressees... Does anybody know?