Author Topic: Filters and Threading  (Read 21762 times)

Offline SniperClops

Re: Filters and Threading
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 03:38:12 PM »
Sweet, once filtering and threading is introduced I'll switch from squirrelmail.

Offline evilbunny

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2008, 01:08:36 AM »
Why have people got so upset over the whole client/server side filtering issue, for me it's important to have server side filtering that way when I go between webmail and a desktop client I have consistency, I only have to setup filtering rules once, rather then for each client, etc etc etc, and since you need the webmail client running on the server it seems pointless to have redundant code on both the MTA and the MUA, especially considering that a lot of MTAs already support sieve filtering, why re-invent the wheel?

As I posted in another thread I recently switched from Cyrus to Dovecot, Cyrus comes with Sieve code built in as does Dovecot, but Cyrus has a management interface that listens on port 2000, unfortunately Dovecot doesn't yet include the management daemon yet, but luckily there is a python daemon someone wrote that does.

All up took me 5 mins or so to get sieve filtering working on the server, the bigger issue was no interface like avelsieve in roundcube, time permitting I hope to rectify this.

What I did find and what works ok for now is SmartSieve (http://smartsieve.sourceforge.net) but it lacks the integration with the webmail client and the pointy clicky goodness of avelsieve, the downside for SmartSieve is it requires the imap extensions for php, but 5 mins with a hacksaw and that requirement went bye-bye. The reason it needed the imap extension was so it could get a list of folder names for when you point mail directly to some other folder then Inbox.

In any case this is only one of many php sieve clients, most if not all are GPL, so all that needs to be done is for someone to hack existing code into the RC interface in a similar way that avelsieve works for squirrelmail.

Offline loriene

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 07:16:00 PM »
Hi, Im really surprise about this discussion ;)
There are 2 groups of users, 1 have acces to server and 2nd not. Yes, I agree on server side its much better but also keep in mind Im not going to put all dozens of filtering for each user, my wife also not going to log into server ;) and I really dont have time to talk to her what folder she need ;)
RC look nice , ajax is sweet , but lack of features. Please let me decide If I can live with few seconds of "not responding" when log in and rc start filtering or not. If I dont like it, I can disable it. Or if it hang , last option is do it with maildrop.
Unfortuinatelly, squirellmail is quick and ugly, but lot of featuers. There is Horde, they build also ajax version which is nice too and keeping all features even calendar/task ....

till then I must leave RC , is sweet but some work must be done ;) you are doing nice app however, respect to it.
Ill try keep use of it . Its like baby, so it has good chance to be robust grow up in future.

take care
miki

Offline Malbrouck

Filters and Threading
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 06:49:20 AM »
Hi,

Sorry to resurrect this topic but I'd like to use a patch I've found here:
Attachment ? RoundCube Webmail ? Trac

Is someone currently using it ? Is it working good ?

Could also someone explain me how to install and use it ? I know how to use the patch command but by looking in the patch I could see it configures a filter table in the DB. Is there anything more to do (like creating this table) to make it running  ?

And to add my personal point of view about filtering: yes, I think filtering/classifying messages in folders is a server job to be done with some powerful tools like procmail. On top of that, if RC could simply provide a nice web interface to edit our .procmailrc file that would be great. I hope this patch does it.
And what would be even better is to have 2 levels of procmail rules editing: one basic like the thunderbird mail client and one advanced where one could directly edit its .procmailrc file.

Cheers,
Malbrouck.