Author Topic: cpu pegged to 100%, pam errors and horrid performance - SOLVED  (Read 2373 times)

Offline netmagi

cpu pegged to 100%, pam errors and horrid performance - SOLVED
« on: January 20, 2009, 04:52:54 PM »
Since I installed roundcube a year or so ago, the performance in general has been subpar and I was having issues where apache threads were pegging the cpu to 100% consistently.  I had the pam errors in messages, and all the typical complaints people make when using UW-imap with roundcube.  Load avg on my server was typically between 2-3.

I tracked the problem down to how roundcube interfaces with UW-imap.  The combination of the two are just a no-no.  UW-imap is fine with squirrelmail, and roundcube is fine with other imap servers, but put the two together and HORRIBLE HORRIBLE performance.

I switched to dovecot from UW-imap today, and all my problems appear to be solved.  The server flies and load avg is down to .2 to .4!

Additionally. . dovecot is super-easy to install.  Took me about 1 hour start to finish including cert creation and it was my first time using it.

If you're using UW-imap with roundcube, stop waiting for "the next release" to fix it.  Just give up and go dovecot ;)

-Rich