Author Topic: Theme Creation  (Read 7727 times)

Offline andros69

Theme Creation
« on: March 25, 2009, 10:20:53 PM »
Hi all,

I've tried to look through the forums as well as on the wiki/trac to see if there is anything regarding this. Not sure if it belongs in this category.

Are there any plans to create a robust method to skin the site? Sort of like, for example, Wordpress does. By this I mean:

- abstraction of the code from presentation. So that all presentation elements live in the templates, css and images and not interspersed through the code.
- create a set of universal variables that can be used in the templates, with functions to call from there.
- that CSS and templates are fairly independent from the code needs, so that the views can be highly customized and these view call the functions you need.

Part of the reason I ask this is, I really want to create a theme/skin for my installation, but I'm afraid that as the core functionality changes, that templates have to be updated extensively. If the form and function were separated, as long as the core functions didn't change dramatically, it shouldn't affect the presentation much.

Does this make sense, am I smoking something and RC already does this? Hope I'm not missing something.

This is kick-ass, and I see a ton of potential here, so I'm willing to invest in creating a new theme for my users, but how long it would last before it's obsolete and needs to be updated constantly.

Thanks!!

Offline Julius Caesar

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.de-keizer.net/
Theme Creation
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 04:41:45 AM »
- abstraction of the code from presentation. So that all presentation elements live in the templates, css and images and not interspersed through the code.

RC does. Just look at the files in the ./skins/ directory

- create a set of universal variables that can be used in the templates, with functions to call from there.

RC does, by using in the template code.

- that CSS and templates are fairly independent from the code needs, so that the views can be highly customized and these view call the functions you need.

Well, the templates include the code for displaying information, not just alternative CSS-files. So when new functionality has been added, these templates (the .html files) must be updated as well.

Documentation for developing templates is planned for release 0.3 of RC. If you can't wait, just examine the current available templates.
Julius Caesar

You can download the Groupvice4 theme here.
Sie können Groupvice4 hier he

Offline andros69

Theme Creation
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 07:13:22 AM »
Thanks Julius, this helps.

I guess my understanding was that there was still quite a bit of presentation-level code in the javascript files and so on, where buttons and even some CSS were referenced there. That some people were having trouble going through these files to make modifications.

But if this is not the case, then awesome. I haven't tried myself yet.

I've already taken a look at the html template files and seems pretty straight forward. But the other code is a bit more intimidating. What's the status of the theme documentation?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 12:06:40 AM by andros69 »