Author Topic: The perfect, roundcube (medium size) setup.  (Read 3625 times)

Offline Yosu

The perfect, roundcube (medium size) setup.
« on: May 22, 2009, 11:15:30 AM »
Hi there:

I would like to setup a small/medium email structure at amazon using roundcube.

Would you recommend to use just one box with LAMP+smtp+roundcube and clone it when more power is needed?
Or setup separated instances/boxes for MySql/apache/smtp.

Thank you!

Offline timreichhart

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 11:48:02 AM »
if you want to do small to medium business I would do postfix+dovecot/imp+mysql.

Offline Yosu

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 12:11:06 PM »
Thank you timreichhart, but the question is more about using (or not) separated boxes for the different services.
Is your proposal to run SMTP server + IMAP server on one box and LAMP + webmail client on another?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 12:17:04 PM by Yosu »

Offline drowe

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 12:24:12 PM »
Depends on the load the box will see.  Typically, most 'shared' hosting sites will have all the services on a single box, and the load is manageable.  The nice thing about RC's configuration is that, if you needed to quickly move the MySQL database off the server, you could do it with relative ease, just exporting the DB and changing the hostname, and it's done.  Same with the IMAP server, etc.  I'd say, start with a single box, and grow out from there.  You might find that consolidated services allow for better performance when the number of users is low.  Once it starts growing, just be mindful and keep an eye on the box.

Offline Yosu

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 12:38:46 PM »
Quote from: drowe;19140
Depends on the load the box will see.  Typically, most 'shared' hosting sites will have all the services on a single box, and the load is manageable.  The nice thing about RC's configuration is that, if you needed to quickly move the MySQL database off the server, you could do it with relative ease, just exporting the DB and changing the hostname, and it's done.  Same with the IMAP server, etc.  I'd say, start with a single box, and grow out from there.  You might find that consolidated services allow for better performance when the number of users is low.  Once it starts growing, just be mindful and keep an eye on the box.

Wise words indeed, thank you, this is probably the way I will do it for obvious economical reasons...

But letÅ› keep going on the "perfect" setup for, let's say 2 or 3 machines... What services would you group and which would you try to keep separated.

For example, what timreichhart said makes much sense for 2 boxes, cause Apache + mysql + PHP runs secure and fast on his own.
And all the "email stuff" is handled on another place, like email scaning, etc.
With that setup my customers will always have fast browsing of the webmail interface even if the email server is bloated, Is there any kind of "IMAP cache" or something similar we could use to asure fast browsing of the webmail interface even with an overloaded mail server?