Author Topic: Calendar --> Timesheets  (Read 5159 times)

Offline cmury

Calendar --> Timesheets
« on: June 10, 2010, 03:57:53 AM »
Hi everyone,

First up - I'm no IT guru. In-fact I don't even work in the field. However I have installed and been using RC for a little while now with the Calendar working great!

The Calendar interface is a natural way to enter time information and it seemed to me that this plugin be quickly transferred to a new Timesheets plugin that could run parallel to the Calendar plugin. Once the time data is in the backend, calculations can help run a project or company using other UI.

I imagine this would mean:
- Duplicating the Calendar plugin directory to a new Timesheet directory.
- Renaming the calendar.php to timesheets.php.
- Duplicating the SQL backend to a new blank table called "timesheets"
- Redirecting the Timesheets plugin to the new table.
- Adding a new Timesheets graphic to the task bar.
- Renaming data fields eg Summary --> Project and Category --> Stage.
- Adding the plugin in the main.inc.php config.

I've naively had a go at doing this but without a full programming knowledge quickly got nowhere. Obviously there is more at play.

I'd really appreciate some help with this as I think it would be a great addition to RC.

Let me know your thoughts.

C

Offline rosali

Calendar --> Timesheets
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 11:10:27 AM »
On a first glance you could simply do that by editing the localization (./plugins/calendar/localization/en_US.inc).
Regards,
Rosali

Offline cmury

Calendar --> Timesheets
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 08:47:20 PM »
Hi Rosali,

Firstly - thank you for your feedback. Very much appreciated.

I did what you suggested to the localisation of the Calendar plugin and very quickly got the Timesheets up and running. Great!!

I'm sure this is not a "pure" programming solution as the label identifiers need to remain as the original configuration while the label text can easily be changed. Similarly the SQL backend remains in the events structure. Nevertheless it works!

The real problem comes when I try to run 2 calendar plugins side by side ie one as Calendar and the one above as Timesheets. Renaming to Timesheets (directory and timesheets.php) just doesn't seem to produce results. I'm sure I'm looking at this very naively and there is more to it.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

C