Author Topic: How To Install  (Read 7524 times)

Offline LissaKay

How To Install
« on: September 03, 2006, 12:33:32 AM »
More details would be nice. All I get is Internal Server Errors when trying to execute the mysql.initial.sql file and I cannot find where the error is. I have been following the Wiki, which is a teensy bit more informative than the included documentation. But it leaves any user that does not possess a PhD in computer science hanging.

So ... to be able to use this program, what do I need to do?

I have edited the two files, and renamed them, as the Wiki instructs. I created the database, added a user with all rights. I tried to run the mysql. initial.sql file and I get an internal server error and 404.

Offline LissaKay

Re: How To Install
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 12:29:40 PM »
I removed the htaccess file from the Roundcube folder I am installing in. Now I get the contents of the file instead of a server error. Is this progress? Could the htaccess be misconfigured? (I have not touched it)

Why am I having this conversation with myself? I can't think of a good reason not to abandon this and go on to a well-documented and supported program ... an entire hosting company (Surpass) gave up on this. Why should I continue bashing my head on the desk?

Offline LissaKay

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 10:43:27 PM »
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Offline pensive612

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 12:10:02 AM »
since, i just finished my first install, i'll let you know my experience.

even though they say to just comment out the htaccess file i needed to remove it. even if i commented out the entire file, it still would give me the same error you're getting.

second... if you are only getting a file list after that was removed, there is probably something not set up correctly in your db.inc.php or main.inc.php

you probably need to remove the .dist extension at the end as well.

i would triple check your db settings and follow the install instructions again. or search for roundcube and your host. someone might have made a tutorial for settings. my hosts tutorial left out a few things that i needed. but i just had to combine them with the ones here. and it went up pretty smoothly.

hope that helps.

good luck.

Offline LissaKay

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 01:13:47 AM »
Holy crap! Ya'll need to write some instructions for this damn thing that are a little better than clear as mud!

Next we execute the SQL file found in the "/SQL/" directory in Roundcube that is named: "*.initial.sql" where * is your database backend type (mySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite).

NO WHERE does it say how the hell you are supposed to do that!

Geez ... but I finally figure the damn thing out. Fuggin phpMyAdmin fuggin annoys the fug outta me! If I had known ...

Gah! This thing better be DAMN good!

Offline kali

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 02:19:51 AM »
No offense LissaKay... but this app really is "damn good". And I've built, managed and use most of the main ones (including pretty complex ones such as Scalix).

Initializing a MySQL database from a script is extremely common. In fact - it's required for almost any database driven application. If you're somewhat new to that and are having a difficult time running an sql initalization script (*.sql), you might get better support by asking rather than bashing the application and its developers.

By the way - htaccess should not have a bearing on running the script. This can be done via phpmyadmin, webmin or directly via mysql command line. A more common issue would be whether you have set the user/pw for the database correctly...

Offline LissaKay

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 07:14:37 AM »
Actually, Kali ... most of the programs that I have installed that use a SQL data base come with a script that is invoked by way of an URL in the browser, and that in turn runs the SQL. Not everyone has phpMyAdmin on their server. I did not at 1and1.com. I had to install it myself - a nightmare of similar proportions. The documentation that comes with this is vague to the point of uselessness for the casual user. The Wiki article is a little better, but this one bit that is left out will trip up the casual user. Not everyone that uses this is a programming guru ... that should be kept in mind if you want to reach a wide audience of users.

I do not know about the quality of the program itself ... I have not even started to use it. My judgement is of the installation documentation. And if you will note, I DID ask for help ... FOUR days with no reply. (Pensive did weigh in eventually - thank you ... another newbie probably feeling my pain). I got more help from people in my web host's forum, including the correct solution.

Offline AlexRezid

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 06:21:32 AM »
Not everyone that uses this is a programming guru ... that should be kept in mind if you want to reach a wide audience of users.

Sure, but if you need to install a webmail, it's often that you have your own mail server and then, I hope you know what you do !! If running a mail server is not difficult, running a pretty secure one is more... And a misconfigured one could lead to many problems (such as Abuse report against yourself because you didn't block spammers to send through your host....)

So, YES, all users aren't programming guru, but installing a webmail SHOULD NOT be done unless you have some Server/Web Admin notions, and then, docs are pretty good (And I'm sure that it will be better ones when a stable release comes out.

JUST REMEMBER YOU'RE USING A SOFTWARE UNDER HUGE DEVELOPMENT, SO DON'T EXPECT TO GET AS MUCH AS A STABLE ONE !!!

Alex