Author Topic: How can RC be sped up?  (Read 10911 times)

Offline ahbrown41

How can RC be sped up?
« on: August 07, 2006, 02:38:58 PM »
I am trying to figure out what the rate limiter is on RC. I love the program but it is being a bit slow and I am not sure exactly what is limiting it. I am using PHP 5.1.4 and MySQL 5 and my machine is a dual core 3 Ghz macine with a gig of DDR memory. I was watching the memory and CPU and it was far from being topped off.. It was just using a few percents of the CPU and there was plenty of memory.
My client machine is around 2Ghz with a 1g memory.

Now... my ISP is a bit slower I think, but I would imagine the extensive caching of messages should make the pages load very quickly. It currently takes a bit less than ten seconds to load the inbox in which I have 1087 messages.

Is it polling the IMAP server every time or is it loading from the cache and then periodically polling for new mail in the background?

Is there anything I can do to improve the speed of the application? Do I have too many messages in my inbox?

Anyway, love the product and thanks for all your hard work. I wish I knew PHP, I suppose I could learn now :-)

BTW, the current SVN version has a bug where the VCard is required but the code puts nothing when adding a contact. This causes the contact adding to fail. I just updated that column to nullable and it works :-)

Thanks!

Offline jrmy

Re: How can RC be sped up?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 02:50:15 PM »
I will say I have used it on servers and clients that are far less powerfull than what you have with out any speed issues. I am betting it's due to the large number of messages in your inbox.

Considering you mentioned caching I am going to assume it's turned on in the config file.

When you use other IMAP clients, is it also slow?

Offline ahbrown41

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 09:15:08 AM »
Other IMAP clients are quite fast (Thunderbird). I do have over a thousand messages in my inbox but does the program need to look at all the messages every time it brings up the inbox? I do Java not PHP, but can you spawn a background thread to keep the IMAP store in sync with the cache? So when the inbox loads, all messages are loaded from the cache... at least while in the same session.

It would seem it is possible to load the 40 displayed messages from MYSQL each time and then poll for new messages in the background. If it did that, it would be almost instantaneous I imagine.

Thanks for your response!

Offline jrmy

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 11:12:10 AM »
I am not a developer so I am not sure how exactly roundcube handles caching. One thing I can tell you is that I have yet to see the caching and interface work correctly together...

Threading (as far as I know) is not possible in php but I can see a way around this. I agree that the inbox should be updated from the cache and the cache updated when a new message has arrived. I *believe* this is the way it's suppose to work.

From my view point the client should only read the cache. It can then send an XML call to the sever asking for new messages. (This is scheduled and done through the browser using javascript). The server receives the request and checks the server. If new messages are found the server would then update the cache (adding the new message) and inform the client that a new message was found. The client would then update the inbox from the cache that is now correct because the response should not be sent until it is updated. If the response was sent before the update you could end up with the cache updated after the inbox refresh.

Obviously none of this helps your situation so back to your problems. How much memory does the browser use up? How many items do you have showing in the inbox? What browser are you using? Also the caching is done server side so if you ISP is slow and your server is not on a local network it could still slow things down.

Offline ahbrown41

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 11:27:22 AM »
I agree that sounds like how it should work.

My browser has 1gb memory and I use Firefox. I have tried Roundcube from my ISP site and from my own local server. I have a cable modem with no load on it. It it quite fast.

Can anyone confirm that what you said is how the webmail works?

Offline jrmy

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 11:32:12 AM »
Your browser is using 1GB of memory. :o :o

Could you close everything. Then open a browser and just open roundcube. I am curious how much it's using my it's self.

Offline ahbrown41

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 01:27:20 PM »
Sorry my machine has 1gb, browser is just using a 30 some megs :-)

Offline jrmy

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 01:36:30 PM »
Hmm it does not look like roundcube is keeping more than 40 emails in the browsers memory.

What browser are you using?

If firefox, what extensions to you have?

I suppose I should have asked his a long time ago, what exactly is slow.

Offline ahbrown41

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 04:41:13 PM »
I have a few extensions. I do not realy think that is an issue. It is not memory on my machine.
It is probably due to the way as you mentioned the caching works..

I'm sure they will get to it some day. Or perhaps I shall just live with it. Oh how I would love an interface as fast as gmail where I have 4000 messages in my inbox :-)

I think we are getting there.

Offline jrmy

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 04:44:00 PM »
I really think it should be just fine. Is it just slow to refresh your inbox?

Offline Pete

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 04:04:04 AM »
Just a note - in the config bit about domains make sure you set the host to localhost, as if you put in your full domain it has to actually log in to your domain again before checking emails rather than jsut checking them.

Sounds silly but it's true.

Offline clynx

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 07:27:03 AM »
Hello,

sorry that I reopen this Topic. I have some speed issues, too. Every single request to a normal URL Scheme seems to be really fast. The slow point seems to be the Javascript which tries to retrieve the data from the server when you change something on a loaded page. I've tested it a little bit, and it seems to be only a problem when the firebug extension is installed in firefox.

Hope it helps you in any way.

Thanks for this nice thing!

Best Regards
Tobias

Offline flosoft

• http://flosoft.biz
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006, 03:39:32 PM »
I would say: Roundcube requires broadband. Or atleast ISDN.
I tried to use it on my vacation (I had a phone connection), and that didn't work. It was soo slow ... it freezed my browser ...

I don't think that there is alot going on serverside wise...

Offline simplistsims

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2006, 07:36:03 PM »
Im on Dialup 52kbps, and roundcube loads fine with me, it takes about 20 secs to fully loaded from a hard refresh. Im getting broadband at the end of the month so hopefully it should load much faster at 8meg! :D
Duca Duca Duca Duca - Dr. Evil *Say it fast*