Author Topic: Empty Startup Greeting  (Read 11009 times)

Offline martensson

Empty Startup Greeting
« on: August 11, 2009, 01:45:14 PM »
Hi there!

Whilst I was trying to install the new version of Roundcube, I ran into this error message while Roundcube is trying to connect to my mailserver (Debian/Dovecot).

Code: [Select]
roundcube: [11-Aug-2009 19:23:07 +0200]: IMAP Error: Empty startup greeting (xx.xx.xx.xx:993) (POST /roundcube/?_task=&_action=login)

Since the message came from Roundcube, I made the assumption that apparently Roundcube wants/forces me to have an actual startup greeting @ my mailserver :confused:

I don't like the idea of having an startup greeting defined within my mailserver. Is this really mandatory or can this check be skipped in some way?

Offline martensson

Silly me!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 02:55:15 PM »
Silly me :p

After rechecking config files I found out that I forget to add the 'ssl' in the 'default host' setting (a.k.a 'xx.xx.xx.xx' in stead of 'ssl://xx.xx.xx.xx' )

Doesn't explain the error message to me, but it did the trick!

Offline humanator

Empty Startup Greeting
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 06:02:16 AM »
OK, I am getting this error message with release 0.3-stable. Any ideas? I've checked my config over a bunch of times and all the settings are correct. The above solution did not work for my installation.

Offline martensson

Empty Startup Greeting
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 06:09:47 AM »
Quote from: humanator;20958
OK, I am getting this error message with release 0.3-stable. Any ideas? I've checked my config over a bunch of times and all the settings are correct. The above solution did not work for my installation.

Humanator, have you tried using another e-mailclient (Thunderbird/Evolution/Outlook) ? Does that work? Are you using SSL/TLS?

Offline humanator

Empty Startup Greeting
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 06:12:04 AM »
Yep, my desktop email client still connects to the mail server just fine.

Offline martensson

Empty Startup Greeting
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 06:14:09 AM »
and you do have an secure connection? (SSL/TLS?) Or do you 'just' connect to port 143?

Offline humanator

Empty Startup Greeting
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 06:33:17 AM »
well my desktop client usually connects via SSL, and I just noticed that it uses port 993 rather than 465, so now it is connecting to IMAP properly.

Still seem to be having problems connecting to the SMPT server though. I get this error:

SMTP send:  NOT OK(Failed to add recipient 'xxxxx@xxxxxx.com')

Offline humanator

Empty Startup Greeting
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 06:46:09 AM »
Oddly, even though the installer says that it isn't sending the test SMTP email properly sending an email from within RC itself still works fine.

Offline pyrophin

Empty Startup Greeting
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 02:20:17 AM »
I posted this over in the SVN thread but that is  not correct - im using the newest 1.3 release.

Im getting the same error - im not using SSL on anything and I know my login credentials are correct. The client sitting on my mailserver is connecting without a problem, when I telnet to 192.168.0.102 143 im greeted with the IMAP prompt

The full error from the roundcube /logs directory is:

[20-Sep-2009 01:44:56 -0400]: IMAP Error: Empty startup greeting (192.168.0.102:143) (POST /roundcubemail/?_task=&_action=login)

I am runninng PHP: 5.2.6-3

I've checked out my config file and im still not sure where else to look - everything looks correct to me, any help would be appreciated!!

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
Empty Startup Greeting
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 05:27:14 AM »
take a look at this Changeset 2972 ? Roundcube Webmail, does the latest SVN slove the problem?
Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and moreā€¦

Offline wepeel21

Empty Startup Greeting
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 02:10:31 PM »
Quote from: JohnDoh;21519
take a look at this Changeset 2972 ? Roundcube Webmail, does the latest SVN slove the problem?

Yep, that fixed the problem for me. Thanks! :)