Author Topic: Change /etc/shadow password interest?  (Read 51979 times)

Offline jpweb

Re: Change /etc/shadow password interest?
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2007, 09:13:50 PM »
Where can I download the latest update for cpanel. Sounds like it could be very useful.

Thanks in advance.

Offline kali

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2007, 09:16:34 PM »
Quote from: jpweb
Where can I download the latest update for cpanel. Sounds like it could be very useful.

Thanks in advance.

Hi jpweb,

For cpanel - you need to look at Heritz's thread with a plug-in that works for that environment.

Offline jpweb

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »
Thanks ill try to find it.

Offline joshenry

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2007, 04:06:12 PM »
Just a note here to try an pretty this up. Is there a way you can make the window without menus, fit to size of the text, have a close button when finished? Just to sexy it up a bit.

Offline kali

« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2007, 04:46:24 PM »
Hey Josh,

Opening a new window with no menus is "easy". Just edit the link (part of the patch) to include the call menubar = no and it will work. The "Cancel" button already has the function to close the window. I could rename the button "Close" I suppose.........

Offline joshenry

« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2007, 04:48:09 PM »
Quote from: kali
Hey Josh,

Opening a new window with no menus is "easy". Just edit the link (part of the patch) to include the call menubar = no and it will work. The "Cancel" button already has the function to close the window. I could rename the button "Close" I suppose.........

Alright. But for the Close button I was thinking once the password has been changed it brings you to a plain window that says the password has been changed then you go to the X to close the window. Can a close button be thrown onto that screen?

What file will that be in for that code or will I have to re-apply the patch?

Thanks again for a sweet mod.

Offline kali

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2007, 04:50:59 PM »
I think the window that confirms success is only there for 5 seconds - then returns to the change password window. This is because if there is a fail - it returns for another try. Once back to the change pw screen, the Cancel button will close the window and return you to RC.

Like I said - I should rename that button "Close".

Offline joshenry

« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2007, 04:57:00 PM »
Heh, I never waited that long for the window to refresh itself. In my opinion (take it or leave it, doesn't matter) It would be good to have that information that the password has been changed on the same window or if it needs to go into a separate window then make that window say "Success, Password has been change" with a close button on that window.
The Cancel button on the first window is just fine the way it is, but I noticed that the cancel button doesn't close the window, just gets rid of the app. I just misunderstood how everything worked together.

Offline FatJonny

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2007, 10:02:58 PM »
Will this patch work with the SVN?

I'm trying to follow the install instructions but nothing seems to be working. I'm not too sure if I'm doing it right. My site is hosted on a shared server with bluehost. If I log into SSH/Shell access my file directory system is as follows:

/home/myBHusername/www/cgi-bin

When I follow the instructions am I right in assuming I just need to put all the above in, i.e. like this:
Code: [Select]
./configure --enable-cgidir=/home/myBHusername/www/cgi-bin
or just use usr/www/cgi-bin?

when I try any of the above I get all the "checking.... yes" output, but then can't seem to find the file in the cgi-bin directory and when I then try "make" I get all sorts of errors including:

Any help anyone?

Offline kali

« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2007, 11:57:11 PM »
Do you have root access to the server? The "permission denied" part of the screenshot indicates that you do not have permission to access the right header files.

If this is a shared server - then do you actually have "root" access? A change password program needs root access to change system users' passwords.

Offline FatJonny

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2007, 12:22:39 AM »
How would I tell? (be nice, I'm still learning!) I can cd .. all the way back to /root, how do I tell if I have read/write access?

Offline FatJonny

« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2007, 12:39:19 AM »
I guess this output means no root access?

touch /root/test.html
touch: cannot touch '/root/test.html': Permission denied

Does this mean this plug-in is no good for me?

Offline kali

« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2007, 12:20:39 PM »
Quote from: FatJonny
I guess this output means no root access?

touch /root/test.html
touch: cannot touch '/root/test.html': Permission denied

Does this mean this plug-in is no good for me?

The short answer is "yes", you probably cannot use this plug-in. What IMAP server is running? That might make a difference (some imap servers store user info in other files rather than system user).

Offline FatJonny

« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2007, 12:37:21 PM »
The IMAP server is Courier.

In the /home/myBHusername/ directory there is an etc/ folder that contains the shadow and shadow,v files. Aren't these the ones that contain the imap passwords?

In the same /home/myBHusername/ directory there is a mail folder with all the courier files.

I guess I have write access to /home/, just not /root/

Offline joshenry

« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2007, 04:39:57 PM »
Just another thought. Could this be integrated into the tab rather then a popup? I've just been playing with it and I think it would look uber sexy just integrated directly into the tab rather then what I mentioned before.